Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, July 21, 2024
Three Appointments in One Day? Never Again!
 
We are getting into the rhythm of the three-times-a-week dialysis, but still had a horrendous Wednesday.

It looks like Monday will be my day at Kroger, to pick up milk (alas, at a higher price than the Mableton Kroger) and yogurt, and burritos if needed (and of course I could always survey the manager's special meats). Maybe I can do Publix on Wednesdays.

Oliver went back to the vet on Tuesday. She said he's not worse, but not a lot better, but she stopped the medicine and asked me to just keep him warm and vaporized and encourage him to eat, and she'd see him in two weeks.

James has been doing well with José, the physical therapist. He is giving James exercises to take down the back pain and also a way of walking that helps his diaphragm expand properly. We also have Shanté (the occupational therapist), who comes once a week and gives him a different set of exercises.

Thursday we couldn't rest from our long, long Wednesday because we had to go to Costco in the afternoon to order James' new glasses. We also tried out the "new" gas station: they added four pumps so that now there are twelve—that Costco gas is always packed—and they also have lights on the uprights to tell you which pumps are occupied.

Wednesday was the real bear: James had another 7 a.m. chair so we could go to his afternoon eye appointment that it took us three months to get. Up at six again with only three hours sleep; after I dropped him off, I figured, hey, who's going to be at Publix at this hour? and I was right, only two other people were there. Also noticed that milk is cheaper now at Publix; who would have thought it? So I got that done, except they didn't have enough Smart Balance to restock the fridge (I took care of that on Friday after I dropped him off; drove down to the Publix across from Sprouts to get three more tubs—now it should last until the next time Smart Balance is on twofer).

Anyway, when I picked him up at eleven (never having gotten any more sleep) we had to go directly to Kaiser Cumberland for James' followup appointment (from Urgent Care on the 13th). The appointment was at noon, but we didn't see the doctor until 1:30, and it was so cold on the front side of the building that even I was cold, and James, with his anemia, was absolutely freezing. The nurse didn't have a blanket, but she brought him a sheet that we doubled up as a shawl.

When we arrived, I'd had half a stale Poptart and a slice of toast with butter to eat. I mentioned this to the nurse this--I'm terrible with remembering names and I don't remember hers, but she's always so nice--and she gave me her homemade fruit cup! She said I needed it more than she did. She makes them on weekends so she has them for the week: grapes, strawberries, and pineapple. (I shared the pineapple with James.) Very thankful for small kindnesses.

And then we had to hotfoot it up to Kaiser Townpark for the eye exam. Pushing James in the rollator at TownPark is So Much Fun. Not. By the time we got home, James could barely make it up the four steps to the foyer and the chair lift. Canned soup was all we could manage for supper.

Saturday we slept in and, after walking the dog, all I did was watch the ChargeTV marathon of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and I fell asleep several times during that!

Sunday we got to do the one fun thing for the week: Juanita's birthday party at Longhorn. Unfortunately they're building an Olive Garden next door, and half the parking lot is gone, so I had to drop James and the rollator off and go park the car elsewhere. It was hot and sticky, so no love. But seeing everyone was so great!

Labels: , , , , ,