Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, July 07, 2024
The Dialysis Dance With a Glad Press'n'Seal Chaser
 
James had his first week of dialysis.

It was ultimately frustrating, at least for me; as I ended up in Kroger every single time (DaVita and Kroger are in the same shopping center, about two miles from our house) and if there's anything I loathe, it's grocery shopping. The temperature was sizzling. And because the shopping center is popular, it's a pain in the neck to find parking. But I picked this location because it's close to the house and, if there was some type of emergency with the cars, James could actually ride the power chair to dialysis and back. Friday night was kind of the last straw; I thought my third visit to Kroger was my last, and then the roll of Glad Press'n'Seal (which enables James to take a shower with the permacath in him until they get this stupid fistula business worked out) fell into the toilet.

Tuesday I took Oliver back to Dr. Bostick. She says he is better, but not much, and she prescribed another medicine. As you can imagine, he hates that. It's an anti-inflammatory. And she wants me to have the vaporizer on for him.

James' in house physiotherapy coach came this week: José, a young man originally from Puerto Rico. He has James doing a walk back and forth holding something in his teeth; when he breathes only through his nose it expands his diaphragm and circulates more blood to his lower extremities. We also have an occupational therapist, Shanté, who came on Independence Day.

We had a quiet Fourth. I found the Bristol, Rhode Island, parade online again and had that on, and then we watched 1776 as usual, and then in the evening watched the Boston Pops concert and fireworks from the Esplanade on the Charles River via Bloomberg television. I noticed that the people running the cameras finally got the message and there were no shots of the crowds working the fireworks this year, just the fireworks! It was a good night, not a lot of smoke accumulation.

James finally got to do something fun: I took him to his club meeting on Saturday, then went by Sam's Club to get Press'n'Seal (good deal, two huge rolls). James' meeting ended early when one of the guys passed out from the heat inside the Union Hall—the air conditioning wasn't working—so we picked up some gasoline at Sam's Club. On the way home we got stuck in a gullywasher of a rainstorm, to the point that my clothes were soaked (and still wet on Sunday morning!). By then I was so exhausted all we had for supper was soup.

Labels: , , , , , ,