Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, February 12, 2023
There's the Good and There's the Bad
 
It's a funny thing about writing; sometimes the story is easier to write than thinking up an appropriate title for it. For the stories I'm writing, I like a title that has a double meaning (because the source material had episode titles that almost always had multiple meanings). The current story has been a trial because any title I could give it pretty much gave away the ending. I started out with one title, changed it just after the first of the year, but have finally found the perfect title while finishing the last of my French research books.

Also had some really good news during a Friday lunch: our friend Aubrey has been offered a good, boss new job due to her contacts in the writing community! The job market is so tough today we are so happy for her.

And then, of course, comes the bad news:

James had a x-ray of his knee last week, and saw the orthopedist this morning. Almost all the cartilage in his left knee, the one that creaks like a board in an old floor every time he climbs the stairs or gets up from a chair, is gone. The usual cure for this is knee replacement surgery. But James BMI is too high, and, the doctor stated matter-of-factly, even if he wasn't overweight, she would not recommend surgery because his other numbers (kidneys, heart, etc.) are so bad.

And we had eye exams, and yes, indeed, Mr. Cataract is worse. I can actually have surgery now if I want to. And I'm frightened of anesthesia and painkillers, and I seem to remember you can't bend down for a certain amount of time when you have cataract surgery, so who would cath James even if I had it done?

Labels: , , ,