Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, May 09, 2005
Celluloid Placebos
Cross fingers, looks like I have another chance at The Seven-Per-Cent Solution on Turner Classic Movies at the end of July. In July TCM also has Robin and Marian (yeah, I know there's a DVD out, but who wants to pay that much for no extras?) and...woohoo!...the 1937 Ronald Colman version of The Prisoner of Zenda. Next month they will have Forbidden Planet (don't like it enough to pay for it) and also the wonderful film It's a Dog's Life with Edmund Gwenn and Dean Jagger and starring a bull terrier named "Wildfire."

Yesterday I recorded the great Irene Dunne film I Remember Mama, based on the Kathryn Forbes book.

Also in June, TCM is having the film Jack Benny always ribbed himself about, The Horn Blows at Midnight. I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it truly as bad as Benny made it out to be?

In checking out the Fox Movie Channel schedule, I was reminded of a question in one of the memes some time ago asking if there was a remake of any movie, what would you like it to be. I'd say Daddy Long-Legs...and do the real novel by Jean Webster, not a musical version that doesn't stick to the plot!

BTW, I noticed Amazon.com will be cheaper for The Thin Man collection than Deep Discount DVD. Whoa, how'd that happen?