Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, May 11, 2023

The Simple Woman's Daybook
 
FOR TODAY, MAY 11, 2023 (my goodness, haven't done one of these in forever)

Outside my window...
It's kinda partly cloudy, so the sun is diffused on the leaves of the trees. Everything is fully leafed out now, the back yard in deep shade by afternoon. It's already too warm, and supposed to be almost 90℉ on Sunday (which is Mother's Day).

I am thinking...
...James is sweet; he bought me a Mother's Day gift because I am a "dog mommy." Alas, right now I am not a bird mommy; still thinking about a new budgie, but not until after Libertycon; it would be too jarring to take a young bird on the road after so short a time. Also thinking against it because all the avian vets are a 45 minute drive away. Our current vet is the closest (maybe Lenox Animal Hospital, but that's within the Perimeter, which is worse traffic than outside the Perimeter...

I am thankful...
...we made a safe trip to BJs and back today. We were supposed to be going to Canton, for our usual trip to Books-a-Million and Uncle Maddio's Pizza, but I have so many books in the house, and James doesn't need the sodium in a Maddio pizza.

In the kitchen...
...James is warming up something for dinner. I have leftover steak from last night and a luscious dinner roll from Lidl, so I'm gonna have a steak sandwich.

I am wearing...
...an orange tank top, grey shorts, and white socks.

I am creating...
...still working on a short piece of fan-fiction to tide me over until I finish the longer piece of fan-fiction. I'm doing something a little different on the longer piece, sections of straight narrative interrupted by the story being told via my characters' blog entries, texts, e-mail excerpts, etc.

I am going...
...not much of anywhere, but as long as I'm not going to a hospital, whether as a patient or a visitor, I'm good.

I am wondering...
...if this is going to be the season in which George Cooper dies on Young Sheldon. The wiki for Sheldon Cooper states his dad died while he was in Germany for the summer, and that's coming up on the series. I'm wondering if that will be the season cliffhanger, as the series is expected to run another season.

I am reading...
...Life in Five Senses by Gretchen Rubin, and have reached the "smell" portion of the book. Recalling some of the favorite scents of my childhood: the exquisite lilacs blooming over our fence from Charlie's house, the "AirPopt" popcorn from Ann & Hope, the scent of frying doughboys at the St. Mary's Church feast, the wonderful ocean smell...

I am hoping...
...Dr. Kongara is being very, very careful and James will not have to worry about dialysis soon.

I am looking forward to...
...nothing, really, because it's summer coming. Libertycon I guess, although I don't read anything that the guests write. James has always wanted to go, and we're staying at Staybridge so we can take Tucker with us, and I hope we go up to Chattanooga early so we can go to McKay's and eat at City Cafe.

I am not looking forward to James' appointment with the vascular surgeon because I don't want to think about him having a fistula created so he can got to dialysis when the time comes. I don't want the time to come, I want him to be well.

I am learning...
...about science, as the other thing I'm dipping into sporadically is The Usborne Science Encyclopedia, which I saw at Hobbytown and ordered a cheap copy.

Around the house...
...we just had pot-lucks for supper: James found leftover pork stir-fry, and I had my leftover steak from last night in a nice "dinner roll" from Lidl. James is at his computer, I'm listening to "The Tech Guy" podcast (way behind on these; this one's from December).

I am pondering...
...all the wide-eyed younger people on Reddit who ask if they should write about this or that, for fear of offending people or hurting people's feelings. Not racist crud or supremacist or totalitarian religious stuff, but addressing subjects like sexual identity or suicide or abuse. If it's in you, write it. Just accept that everyone might not read it; it's their decision.

A favorite quote for today...
I found it on Twitter, and remembering my office days, that is so sad!

"His insomnia was so bad, he couldn’t sleep during office hours."
Arthur Baer


One of my favorite things...
...well, Law & Order is on tonight. Even though the follow-on series lacks the fire of the original, I do like Cosgrove and Shaw. And, judging by the episode descriptions, probably going to be suckered into watching SVU and Organized Crime this week and next. SVU is usually bearable unless it gets into heavy ick, but I find OC tedious.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Our week is pretty much over; once we've done the shopping, maybe it's lunch with friends on Friday. Sure not planning to go anywhere on Mother's Day; temps expected to be broiling.

A peek into my day...
...probably reading this next.

A Courage Undimmed - (an Olive Bright Mystery) By Stephanie Graves  (hardcover) : Target
 

 If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.  

Labels: