Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, April 02, 2023
The Kindness of Strangers / Too Many Appointments
 
This was the week of six health-related appointments. But the thing that was the most special was an instance of the kindness of strangers.

You see, sometimes you find angels where you don't expect to find them. Tuesday was our semi-annual inspection of the HVAC system. The HVAC guy's name was "Ferris" and he went up in the attic and then out to the compressor to check everything out. Well, the filter was toast, so he went with me into the garage to get a fresh one (they warned me when we installed this unit that it was cheaper to order the filters from Amazon, otherwise the company would charge us about $150 each) because I couldn't reach up high to where it was stored. He was very jolly and funny, and said if I needed anything else to be "fetched up high" he'd get it for me while he was here, so I confessed that the help I needed was a little different—I needed a hole dug.

You see, since the 21st Snowy's little mortal remains have been stored in the freezer (yes, with the poultry, in a plastic bag). I'd hoped someone could bury him for me, but most of our friends have physical problems as well. So after the inspection was finished, James and Tucker went out on the deck, and Ferris dug a hole next to Pigwidgeon and Schuyler's graves, and we were able to lay Snowy to rest. He was so sweet; even asked me if I wanted to say a few words. I told him we missed him, and laid the little cardboard Amazon box into the hole, and Snowy was covered up and that was done. I have a little place out there, with a garden ornament I hand painted with Testor's paint: a butterfly and "WISH" at the top, and a resin stone with bluebirds on top of it.

In the meantime Monday we had to go to Kaiser Cumberland to get the second of James' shingles vaccine. Wednesday I had a bone-density scan in the morning and then James had physiotherapy in the afternoon. Thursday James went to the podiatrist in the morning, who said I'm doing a good job trimming his toenails instead of us going every six weeks. In the afternoon I had my annual visit with Dr. Mobley. Made the mistake of getting a pneumonia shot; could hardly lift my arm for the rest of the weekend. Friday James had another iron infusion.

That's quite enough, thank you. We also picked up Pill Pockets for Tucker because we have to start giving him antibiotics before his teeth cleaning on Tuesday.

The one fun thing: Ken's birthday party at Outback!

Labels: , , ,