Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, June 14, 2019
The Case of the Squinting Dog

Pretty normal morning: woke up (thankfully), did morning ablutions, breakfast and all that, and it was dogwalking time. Then I noticed Tucker pawing at his face. Then he looked into my face.

He was squinting with his right eye. In fact he looked like Schuyler when she had conjunctivitis. Oh, what now?

So we had our walk, and then James held him while I checked out his eye. Not swollen, eye not red. I got a syringe and filled it with warm water and James held him while I rinsed out the eye, then patted out any blobby stuff, but this was clear, not infected looking. We'll keep an eye on it and pick up something for it while we're out.

We had a busy afternoon. Our first stop was Petco, where I picked up something for Tucker's eye, then we stopped at Barnes & Noble. Got the new "Just Cross Stitch" and found a Flavia DeLuce book I didn't have on the remainder table. James got some magazines and a military book. As he was paying, I nipped a few stores over to CD Warehouse. Had no luck finding a BluRay Crimes of Grindelwald, but I did find The Last Jedi for $8.99 and also a BluRay of Big Jake for only $5.

We decided to have lunch at Applebees. I was happy to see you could get ribs on the 2 for $25 menu, so we did that. James had chicken stir fry and ordered me the full rack of ribs for $5 so he could have some, and we had onion rings for an appetizer (a lot better than most, still not better than Mel's Diner in Pigeon Forge). Well, my mouth was watering by the time the ribs arrived, but they were spicy. I sort of enjoyed them, especially since as I moved toward the center of the rack the heat seemed to lay off, but I was so disappointed. I wonder if someone peppered another dish while it was sitting next to my ribs, or applied the sauce with a utensil that was used with a spicy sauce. I've had ribs at Applebees before, my godmother treated me once, and they were not spicy, they were sweet and delicious. This is like the second or third time I've been screwed with ribs when eating out, even in a real barbecue place. I think I will stick to the ribs at Fried Tomato Buffet and the riblet appetizer at Williamson Brothers Barbecue. I am so sick of freaking pepper.

Then we were off to the mall. We haven't been to Town Center in ages; there's really nothing there anymore: no bookstores, no Radio Shack, no Hallmark store, no Lindt store, just an endless succession of boring clothing stores and even more boring shoe stores. There's still a Disney store there, and we did go in that, just to look around, but we were there to shop at ThinkGeek; we'd been given gift cards there over a year ago, but just had no strong urge to go to the mall because it's so boring anymore.

ThinkGeek is a cute store, but it carries more modern fandoms. Most of the stuff is Funko Pop stuff, which I'm not interested in (if they did a Lassie, or a Maxwell Smart or Agent 99, maybe), or fannish statues. I'm at the age where it's just something else to dust! So we found a card/board game based on the old Missile Command videogame, and a Ghostbusters edition of Uno which added up to just $2 over our gift cards. Otherwise, rather a depressing visit overall.

The old Waldenbooks is now a damn shoe store. Bleah.

It had been a nice day weatherwise until we came out of the mall; the lovely spring weather with warm-in-the-sun/cool-in-the-shade and a breeze had continued this morning and early in the afternoon, but by the time we got out, it was hot and uncomfortable. We had to come home by Publix since we couldn't find the no-salt Boar's Head turkey that James needs to eat. It's like only the Smyrna store has it! Also got some BOGO watermelon and the carrots we are making for tomorrow's Hair Day.

Really bushed when we got home, and dozed off on the sofa when I was supposed to be reading the newest About Time volume. Tucker's eye looked a little better, but I still irrigated it with the eyedrops from Petco and will do it again before bed. James remembered as we were treating his eye that last night he had turned around to pet Tucker and he jumped at him unexpectedly, and James thinks he may have poked his eye, so that would explain the squint. Just nibbled on French bread for supper and later on had some bruschetta cheese.

Also finished up watching Good Omens tonight. Caught both the Doctor Who jokes, and loved the ending. I'm glad Aziraphale got his bookshop back. Very bromancy at the end, and I love "the faces" they chose. 😀

Labels: , , , , ,