Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, March 14, 2019
The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY, MARCH 14, 2019

Outside my window...
...it has been mostly cloudy all day, so right now it is that dim light before sunset—since, tiresomely, we have gone on Daylight Wasting Time again, and the sun will not set until almost eight o'clock, and it won't be really dark until after nine. Luckily I have accustomed Tucker to going out between nine and ten, so we shouldn't be bothered by distractions (kids, other dogs going on walks, at least two neighbors who get home from work after nine, etc.) when I take him out for a walk. It will get harder as the days get longer, because by June 21 it won't be dark until way after ten. A fat pain in the neck it is.

I am thinking...
...actually, I'm thinking what to have for dessert. It's "Pi Day," but we have no pie. 😀 We had dark chocolate Oreos last night. Maybe dark chocolate peanut butter cups tonight. Trader Joe's makes the ones we have, and they are so good.

I am thankful...
...James' MOHS procedure is over. He had it this morning. Since June of 2016, he had had a mole growing near his right eye. It just got bigger, didn't change color or anything, and he intended going to dermatology about it, but there was his heart, and his kidneys, and the heart again, and the kidneys, and the blockage, and finally the TURP—there never was any time...anyway, when we finally got to the dermatologist a couple of months ago, it had gotten really bad (especially after the TURP). It wouldn't really heal, and would bleed, scab over, the scab would fall off, then it would start to bleed again. Expectedly, when they removed it, they biopsied it, and it was a basal cell cancer. So they sent us to a dermatological surgeon to have this MOHS procedure. The doctor at Kaiser had taken the mole right off until the skin was flat again, and it had even healed very nicely. Now this doctor basically took a millimeter of skin (deep) from the area and biopsied it. If it had come back bad, she would have take another millimeter until the basal cells were all gone. He got lucky. She took off the millimeter and there were no basals in it; the doctor at Kaiser had gotten it all. So after the first millimeter she stitched it up and we are to go back and have the stitches out next Thursday. He will have an interesting scar. We teased each other that he could say it was a dueling scar.

In the kitchen...
...we had bagged ravioli tonight, and the sauce is still waiting to be put into a container. Everything else but the small Dutch oven James boiled the ravioli in is in the dishwasher and washing. After making it through the entire afternoon, the lidocaine they put on the surgical area has worn off and now he feels like he has a bad headache. At the moment I'm writing this, he's fallen asleep in the recliner. I tried to get him to lay down this afternoon, but he wouldn't. I hope he hasn't overdone it.

I am wearing...
..."Soft kitty" T-shirt and gray-and-blue plaid pajama pants. And the usual white socks.

I am creating...
...right now, quiet so James can sleep.

I am going...
...to read or watch Perry Mason later on. We should really watch what's on the DVR, but we have gotten rather hooked on watching the reruns when there's nothing else on. They don't make shows like this today; even all the lawyer shows are flashy and quick cuts. I just wish they didn't edit so much from the episodes to fit more commercials in. We are losing about ten minutes each episode, so sometimes the events they mention don't make any sense because we didn't see them!

I am wondering...
...if James will have trouble wearing his C-PAP mask tonight. He is worried about this, too. It's funny, but when he sits up and sleeps he does not snore!

I am reading...
...Why We Eat What We Eat by Raymond Sokolov, about how the European arrival in the "New" World changed both the cuisine of the Americas and of other countries. For instance, what we think of as "French cooking" or "Italian cooking" only exists because of foodstuffs brought over to Europe from America after 1492.

I am hoping...
...James feels a little better tomorrow. He will be taking pain medication tonight instead of an Ambien and Tylenol.

I am looking forward to...
...Cobb County Friends of the Library spring book sale, at the Civic Center tomorrow through Sunday.

I am learning...
...well, I'm trying to read my camera manual (again) and learn how to really use it. I have rarely used it off Auto; I did kind of by guess and by golly when I took photos of William Shatner at DragonCon, because he moves around so much, and that worked out okay, so I need to know how to do it properly.
 
Around the house...
...we're watching Jeopardy.

I am pondering...
...lunch at Tin Drum tomorrow. I have points for an extra protein. Usually that means I have enough food in the portion for two lunches.

A favorite quote for today...
"You are somebody's sunshine." I hope I am sunshine for James...at least sometimes. I know lots of times I can be a thunderstorm, or a weepy cloud.

One of my favorite things...
...these days? Peace and quiet and weeks with no doctors' appointments. I have one of my own soon.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Book sale, cross fingers. Also, might have to take James to his club meeting. We'll see.

A peek into my day...
How about a different day? Here's a picture I took one morning when I couldn't sleep and went out to help James with the power chair. That's Venus just over the roof of the neighbor's house at lower left and Jupiter up there on the right.




If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.

Labels: