Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, February 04, 2018
...and Then There's the Day You Want to Do Nothing

Cloudy, gloomy, raining...perfect day to stay in bed. So I did. But James couldn't sleep and ended up plunking the carcass of "Monty" the Thanksgiving turkey with carrots, celery, a bay leaf, and some spices into the stock pot to simmer. (It did all afternoon and so we had turkey soup for supper.)

But we still had to go to the store. We only had to get a few things, so we just went to Publix, but for meat we went to Nam Dae Mun. Why pay $5.99 (at least) a pound for beef when you can get it for $2.99? We found thin steaks, beef chopped into small bits for tacos, nice pork chops, and lamb steaks. Surprisingly, could not find any ghee. I'm sure they have some and we just couldn't find it, but no one knew where it might be. Maybe the other store on Spring Road has it; they do have different products.

Then we came home. The clouds and chill and grey are just making us sleepy and dull. I put some John Denver CDs on as the smell of turkey soup cooking wafted through the house. Finally James picked out the carcass a little after four, and we cleaned up and reloaded the dishwasher and put most of the soup in a container but left out some for ourselves. Completely forgot the Puppy Bowl was on, watched the repeat at six, then went on to America's Funniest Home Videos and Victoria. Found sad posts on Facebook of people who had to miss the latter for the Stupid Bowl. [shakes head] No accounting for taste!

Note to self: I don't have to wake up at 5:45 tomorrow! (Would you believe I was having nightmares about work last night? Apparently I couldn't retire before I did a big pile of closeout files—not the easier automatic closeouts, but the awful ones where you have to call the vendor to make sure they are not going to bill you again, and then have to do a modification deobligating remaining funds and do a whole bunch of paperwork involving dates that I never understood. Boy, did I wake myself up fast! [shudder])

Labels: , , , ,