Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, July 20, 2017
Under Pressure -- And Loving It
So I mentioned last weekend that I had purchased a pressure cooker on Prime Day and on Saturday I made gravy with it (that's spaghetti sauce for you Medigones in the audience 😀 ). But we hadn't used it for its primary purpose.

I have to admit I was a bit in trepidation about having a pressure cooker. My total experience with pressure cookers comes from sitcoms and a Lassie story with Jeff, "The Watch," all in which they explode and get food everywhere and break things.

James has been having some major problem with his knees, and he was up most of the night in pain. So he was home today and feeling marginally better by dinnertime. Earlier he took some boneless skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer to thaw. At dinnertime he used the saute feature to brown the chicken. Once that was done he put in a cup of unsalted chicken broth and a can of cream of mushroom soup (which had quite enough salt in it, thankyouverymuch), then pressed the "poultry" setting and let it cook for fifteen minutes. Upon opening it, the chicken was about 200°F inside and nice and tender. The broth was a bit soupy, so he put it back on saute and thickened the liquid with cornstarch. Then we had it over rice. Oh, yum! Now want to try other things, like pork loin and beef with teriyaki.

The nice thing about pressure cookers, I understand, is that you can use cheap cuts of meat and have a nice, tender result. Looking forward to finding out.

Labels: , ,