Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, April 02, 2017
Downtime

We had Hair Day Saturday morning, stopping at Publix beforehand to both get our contribution and grab some twofers. We had a lively crowd today, and because it was Colin's 26th birthday, we had a cake and presents. The lunch centerpiece was salads (chicken, crab Louis, fruit, and potato), so we had sandwiches and there was also a cheese and cracker plate and a relish tray.

We were going to drive home, drop off the groceries and the remainder of the bread we brought for lunch, and then go to the Akers Mills' Barnes & Noble. Well, James's been having trouble with gout in his left elbow, and now the arch of his foot was hurting in the same way. He wasn't in any condition to go out, but didn't say anything about it until we were on our way home, when the pain started to worsen.

So we were home for the rest of the afternoon and evening. He had to take some medicine that the doctor gave him for flare-ups and pretty much had to lie out the remainder of the night. He slept a lot of it, and didn't even notice when I took the dog out the last time. I just chilled and read some magazines and watched Father Brown, Rosemary & Thyme, Keeping Up Appearances, and As Time Goes By. Father Brown was a Christmas episode which I wish I hadn't missed the beginning of.

We slept a full nine hours last night and both woke up refreshed, James with no pain in the foot. Glad the medicine helped! We had a quick breakfast and then ran two errands and the trip to Barnes & Noble. The first errand was stopping at Nam Dae Mun, the mostly Asian market on Spring Road. We needed more low-sodium teriyaki sauce and also black sauce, sweet sauce, sesame oil, and ginger tea. The second errand was to Costco to get gasoline and then restock eggs, milk, mushrooms, and liquid soap (also picked up more popcorn and a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them—geez, when's Rogue One coming out; everyone's talked about it so much I want to see it).

Lunch at Uncle Maddio's pizza and the trip to Barnes & Noble were much more fun, even if I didn't buy anything at the latter. James got the new 1632 book. Alas, they still don't have the new "Breathe" magazine. Looked at the spring "This England," but I can get a year's subscription to the digital version for less than the price of one print edition. I can do this with "Breathe," too, but I don't get the extras that are in the print edition.

Did see a book I ordered when I got home, because it was simply more affordable that way. A World Remade, the story of the United States in World War I. I have been waiting for a book like this. Thursday, the 6th, is the 100th anniversary of the U.S. entry into "the Great War." What I was really hoping for is that someone would do a book just about homefront WWI. There are a bunch about World War II (I have at least a half dozen of them, like Daddy's Gone to War), but our total immersion in the first war fascinates me. People could see WWII coming, but how did we get involved in WWI? This has interested me since I read all those old kids' series books that used to be on Blackmask.com/Munseys.com, the ones that predated Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, like Grace Harlowe and the High-School Boys and the Campfire Girls and Ruth Fielding: once WWI came along every single one of those kids' books had wartime plots, with the girls acting as nurses or hospitality house hostesses (the precursor to the USO) and the boys as soldiers. This book, I note by the reviews, does have some explanation for that.

Anyway, the summer temperatures have done the usual number on my GI system, so after we were delayed at Costco we came straight home, where my bathroom sojourns were interrupted by enjoyable moments watching The Queen's Castle on PBS. LOL. If I think I have trouble with sixteen clocks and timers during "spring forward" and "fall back," I had to feel for the Windsor Castle clockmaker, who has to adjust 432 clocks twice a year! Loved the segment with Prince Philip showing the filmmaker around the "Home Park," where the estate has two different herds of cows, a deer park, and other neat things. He'd shake his head at the photographer who wanted to film him entering the Land Rover and comment about it every single time.

Soup for supper and a new season of Call the Midwife starting: I wanted to beat the living daylights out of Lester. I'm not sure about Sister Ursula; she reminds me of the nuns of my childhood, stern and inflexible. Her sternness seems very prideful and that is unbecoming of a sister of the Church.

Labels: , , , , ,