Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, November 05, 2016
Let There Be Lightbulbs

So I followed a night in which I slept beautifully except for James waking me three times thumping his heel against the side of the bed with a night where I barely felt like I slept at all. Which means I was bleary and headachy most of the day, and so sleepy I forgot to take my stupid omeprazole until late in the afternoon, so I was sick most of the evening.

We wanted to head to Trader Joe's to see if they'd traded pumpkin bars for cranberry bars, so we decided to have breakfast out at the IHOP on Johnson Ferry Road. We had a delightful Japanese waiter who made the kids at the table around us laugh; we left him a nice tip. The Trader Joe's  trip was less successful. They have straddled the line between Hallowe'en and Christmas by still having pumpkin but also getting the peppermint stuff in stock. We bought a couple of things including peeled and diced butternut squash for a "squish" side, but not as much as we usually do.

We thought we'd check out Half-Price Books again, even though I find them overpriced. James found some model kits for a couple of dollars each and I bought a book about geographical place names and another about unusual historical events. Then we backtracked to check out the LED bulbs in the Home Depot on Johnson Ferry. They have a bigger assortment than Lowes, but man are they more expensive! We will check out another Lowes first.

Finally it was about 2 p.m. and we were both getting hungry, so we stopped at Sprouts. I got clam chowder and James had a salad with chicken and we picked up beef and pork bits and cashews, and we came home from there to have lunch. The clam chowder was a bad idea; that's when the indigestion began.

I finished reading a book I got from NetGalley, Martians Abroad, and posted a rather sour review of it; sorry, I liked it better when it was called Podkayne of Mars and Robert Heinlein wrote it (really, the parallels are that close), and James took a nap. Then he took Tucker outside while I finished writing the book review.

Later on I had some oatmeal for supper and then started the long, arduous process of turning the clocks back. Why we can't stay on Standard Time I don't know. I'd much rather have it light in the morning when I'm on my way to work than be light as late as 9:30 p.m. in the dead of summer when I practically have to start getting ready for work the next day and then go to bed. They've already proven it doesn't save energy; it actually wastes more of it.

While I was downstairs turning back the library clock I tried to check out what wattage the overhead ceiling fan bulb in the library had; it's been out for months and we need to replace it. Alas, it's been almost ten years since we installed it and neither of us remembers how the light cover comes off. We did check the seriously dim bulb in the laundry room to discover it's one of the original bulbs that came with the house! I went upstairs to finish the clocks—the one in the master bath, the two alarm clocks, the one in the hall bath, the one in the spare room, the one in the craft room, the one in the kitchen, the one in the dining room...you can see why I hate this—and then regarded those two 40 watt equivalent LEDs in the hall bath. The light is still too creepy bright for words. So I took them out and put real 40 watt bulbs in them, and put the 40 watt equivalents in the downstairs bath. James is down there the most and the creepy brightness doesn't bother him the way it does me. Now we just have to replace the light bulb over the bathtub (yes, over the bathtub; it's high up under a protective dome) in the downstairs bath; I think it's been out over a year.

Watched a Rosemary & Thyme I don't ever remember seeing, "the Bucket woman!," As Time Goes By and French Fields. Two more clocks to change and we can go to bed!

Labels: , , , , ,