Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, December 25, 2015
A Quiet Christmas

We slept as late as we could this morning; no leaping from bed at the crack of dawn like we used to as children to see what was under the tree. In my case, it was because I was up about every two hours to go to the bathroom and then swill more water. The vaporizer is supposed to last 8 to 10 hours, but is always stopped by the time I get up.

Since we're adults we had breakfast and then gifts. James gave me the new annotated Little Women and the newest John and Carole Barrowman "Bone Quill" book, a Blu-Ray of the film Mr. Holmes, a Special Dark bar, a chocolate orange, and a nifty bracelet that has a dog's head. I got James three books, a picture book of color photographs from World War II, Five Came Back (wartime movie directors), and Enduring Courage (about Eddie Rickenbacker) and two DVDs, one of George Carlin and another of a weekly series called The Aviators, plus the little item I bought him from White Rabbit Cottage, a block of wood that says "Love my hero" on it. We also opened our gifts from Emma (homemade cookies), Mike and Jen (a little autumn tree lamp), and Rodney (a facsimile copy of the original Murder on the Orient Express, two Christmas CDs I didn't have, and a lovely big book of Apollo photographs!

Watched The Homecoming about noon and then got ready to go to the Butlers while James finished our food contributions (gravy, green bean casserole, and roasted maple-glazed carrots). We headed over to arrive at four so I could rest as much as I could. The most strenuous thing I did was climb up the driveway, but I was still wiped out by the time we got home.

But we had a great time. Dinner was delicious, we had a fun gift exchange (got nifty emergency items from Keith, fannish art prints, homemade biscotti, homemade coasters (everyone got these and they were all different), a Christmas trivia book, and other neat goodies), and of course we talked and talked and talked. It had been lightly sprinkling when we got there and pouring rain while we were there, but it had thankfully stopped by the time we left, so we were able to enjoy the decorations between Country Walk and home. Unfortunately there was no clearing in the clouds, so we didn't see the first Christmas full moon in umpety umph years.

And then the last thing before bed was watching The House Without a Christmas Tree. A nice thing to see out the holiday.

Labels: , , , , , ,