Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, March 24, 2015
The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY, MARCH 24, 2015

Outside my window...
...it is lunchtime, so it is sunny and clear today, rather than the sun just rising when I usually do this Daybook. Sadly, it's also warm. I don't want it cold, but I do like it cool, and almost 70°F is not only not cool, but it's Not Cool. :-)

I am thinking...
...about what else I can get accomplished today. I have stripped the bed and am washing the sheets, and trying to keep from sneezing, because I used the flat sheet as a dropcloth before washing it, so I could clean off the ceiling fan in the living room. It's been warm enough some days to turn it on to high, but I've been avoiding it because it was dusty and I didn't want dust bunnies flying around. I did one purchase order this morning and wondering if there's another I can do today. I'm hampered by people not being registered in our system, or having to wait for a clearance.

I am thankful...
...for a wonderful weekend even if the rain was a fat pain in the neck on Sunday! We need a better tarp, but the plastic garbage bags over the suitcase and the goodies and James' CPAP bag worked fine. Nothing got wet.

In the kitchen...
...I'm defrosting some already cooked pork chops so that James will have an easy time of it tonight and just slice up a cucumber for salad. Maybe we can try one of our new balsamic vinegars on it. And the dishwasher is empty—to be, of course, reloaded.

I am wearing...
...a Soft Kitty grey t-shirt and green "Mutts" pajamas with snowflakes on them.

I am creating...
...LOL. Clean laundry. Clothes and towels are done, sheets and bedclothes are washing.

I am going...
...at this time not anywhere, but I sure wish I was going to take a nap!

I am wondering...
...if it's just my allergy or if I'm coming down with a cold. I'm sure stuffy, but at least my eyes quit watering like they did when I got up this morning. (Changing the bed should help this, too.)

I am reading...
...frankly, the same stuff I was reading last week! I did finish a "Woman's Day" and a "Shop Smart" during Atomicon.

I am hoping...
...for cooler weather over the weekend. They are predicting 50s—my favorite! I love jacket weather.

I am looking forward to...
...Good Friday. For the last few years, I have thought I should attend more to spiritual matters on that day. (I can't be working, because all I do there is swear at my poky computer and you are taught as a Catholic that you should be in silent contemplation or just silence between noon and three, the hours when Jesus was alive on the cross.) So I have been taking Good Friday off for a few years now, and in the last three years I have been recording the BBC Lent Talks to play on Good Friday. These are presented once a week for the six weeks of Lent and have a different theme each year; this year's theme is "performance." Afterwards I will probably listen to soft music while reading The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything if I haven't finished it by next Friday. I do have A Year of Biblical Womanhood as well.

I am learning...
...more colonial history from reading Freedom Just Around the Corner. Oh, and about Windows 10 from "This Week in Tech." :-)

Around the house...
...I'm playing "This Week in Tech" and Snowy is burbling along to it. Tucker is in his "cave" under the table. The stripped bed is airing out, and the bedclothes are sloshing back and forth in the water. Lots of rhythms going on.

I am pondering...
...when my copy of Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer will be here. I finally found an affordable copy! It's a collection of recipes taken from classic children's books, like jumbles from What Katy Did at School and picnic lunches from the "Swallows and Amazons" stories.

A favorite quote for today...
“True solitude is a din of birdsong, seething leaves, whirling colors, or a clamor of tracks in the snow.” ... Edward Hoagland
Sounds lovely! There certainly was a din of birdsong this morning when I walked Tucker, a mockingbird pouring out his territorial specifications from the peak of a roof!

One of my favorite things...
...Murdoch Mysteries! Our next disk (the beginning of season 7) should come in the mail today. We love this series: turn-of-the-20th-century set police procedural taking place in Toronto with a vague steampunk veneer (our protagonist Detective William Murdoch invents future crime-fighting tools before their time, with guest characters like Conan Doyle, Tesla, early aeronauts and motorcar inventors, etc.). {Later: Hey, why didn't it come? What was the use of my making sure it ended up in the mailbox Friday morning???]

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Purchase orders and housework. Murdoch. Doctor Who on RetroTV (we're into Tom Baker's final season). Hair Day, I think. I want my hair trimmed before 221B Con.

A peek into my day...
Snowy relaxing as he listens to Leo and company:



If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.

Labels: