Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, October 07, 2014
The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY, OCTOBER 7, 2014

Outside my window...
...still pretty gloomy. Some clouds this morning, which is fine by me so I don't have to dodge the sun when taking Tucker for a walk. My phone says the temp outside is about 61°F, so shirtsleeves should be enough.

I am thinking...
...here it is October and I don't have the rest of the fall decorations up yet. Just been busy with life, Tucker, Snowy, and work. Now that EOFY is over, we have training classes to take, and now we have to close out files, too. We didn't used to close out purchase orders; the money was just allowed to expire. It's an easy task, but fiddly as well, as we have to put specific dates on the closeout form, and we can't do those yet because Finance is closed to finish totting up FY2014. Miserable numbers...

I am thankful...
...we've had a taste of fall weather, even if it's going back up to the 80s tomorrow. (sticks out tongue) I am about fed up with summer, not because it's been particularly hot, but because the mosquitoes have been terrible this year. I haven't been able to go out into the back yard without getting bitten, and that's never happened since we've had the house. (The other house, yes, but we were across the street from a creek. They bred there.)

In the kitchen...
...chaos as always. I have to dig out something for supper.

I am wearing...
...turquoise "scrubs" pants and a budgie T-shirt. And blue socks.

I am creating...
...that would be telling. :-)

I am going...
...I'd like to be going to McKay's, thank you. I have two full Xerox paper boxes of books downstairs.

I am wondering...
...why I feel so achy this fall. I have been told it's my allergy, and I am allergic to near everything growing outside. I killed 20 minutes of today's lunch hour early, so I could trim the nandina bushes, which were obscuring St. Francis. That will come back to bite me later.
 
I am reading...
...The Rocketeer: Jet-Pack Adventures, which is a heck of a lot of fun. This is Dave Stevens' original character, not the milder Disney version, so it's super-pulpy, it's Betty instead of Jenny and she spends a lot of time half-clad, and Peevy smokes. So far there have been shark-men, flying monkeys, Zane Grey, Shangri-La, a guy who sounds like Sam Beckett, mad scientists, Cliff's doppelganger, and lots and lots of Nazis. Also still working on Coolidge.

I am hoping...
...to getting some things done this long weekend. I'd really like it to be cool so I could do a couple of other things in the yard, but alas, that isn't to be.

I am looking forward to...
...the library booksale! maybe the Mistletoe Market! the Georgia Apple Festival! the Fall Jonquil Festival! There's a lot to like about October!

I am learning...
...about other sources for my crafts. I've bought something off eBay that will provide some gifts. I've already done one but...as River Song says, "Spoilers!"

Around the house...
...presently surrounded by work materials. I have Today on in the background for Snowy and he is singing...well, like a bird! Tucker has vanished. I don't hear him eating, so I suspect he's in his "cave" under the dining room table.

I am pondering...
...certain friends, who I really miss talking to. :-(

A favorite quote for today...
"There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October."  . . . .  Nathaniel Hawthorne

One of my favorite things...
...ah, we're back to the Friends of the Library Booksale again. I know I really need to be more choosy, but when you find a nifty looking history book, it's hard to hold back. Hoping I can find some of the World Book Christmas books I'm missing. They're expensive full price. I was listening to a "Travel with Rick Steves" podcast where they were talking about Belgium and the difference in customs between the Flemish and the Walloons. I bet that is a big part of the World Book Christmas volume about Belgium.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Booksale. Maybe an early-morning foray into the yard—which, sadly, involves an early morning, a sad occurrence for a night owl.

A peek into my day...
nana...nana...nana...nana...
nana...nana...nana...nana...
Batears! Batears!



If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.

Labels: