Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, November 05, 2013
The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2013

Outside my window...
...I'm doing this rather later than normal, so it's a nice day out, if a bit chilly (but I like chilly; I just put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants and go onward) and with light clouds backing the sun. I've already worked on a purchase order, refilled the bird feeder, taken part in a conference call, washed a load of clothes, let the exterminator in the back yard and the garage, taken the car to the mechanic for its annual tune-up and inspection (plus an oil change and a transmission flush, which is due), and I'm waiting for the call to go get it. And it's not even noon yet.

I am thinking...
...how close we are to Thanksgiving! Autumn's flying by, as usual, while summer moves at the speed of a constipated snail.

I am thankful...
...that we are back to Standard Time; now it's not pitch dark when I drive to work, luring me back to sleep.
...that it's cool (for now), and wish it would stay that way.
...that for me, this weekend is a four-day weekend, because I have tons to do.

In the kitchen...
...it needs cleaning, but that's not my job, it's James'. I vacuum, clean the bathrooms, do the laundry, make/change the bed, etc. I will empty the dishwasher, though.

I am wearing...
...because I have to go pick up the car at some point, I'm wearing my chickadee sweatshirt and grey sweatpants, and my black Reeboks. I'm already too warm.

I am creating...
...order out of chaos, as always. Exterminator is done for 2013, unless there's an emergency. Car is finally getting taken care of. Made an appointment I needed to "appoint."  Desperately trying to clean off the dining room table. Have some boxes I need to break down for the trash, and some other boxes I need to store somewhere until they decide when we're going to move (again) at work.(It was Friday. Then it was next Friday. Now it's "after Thanksgiving.")

I am going...
...to be busy this weekend. Going to check out Hallmark; I have a couple of coupons, so may get some gifts. Also will end up doing the shopping, as James has to work on Sunday. 

I am wondering...
...when they're going to make up their minds. :-)

I am reading...
...just finished The War That Ended Peace, an overview of the causes of World War I. (Going to do some reading on WWI, as the 100th anniversary of the start of the war is next summer.) It's excellent, but don't go into it hoping for an easy summary of the causes of the war. This is a dense book, with a cast of dozens. Now I'm reading Dark Invasion, an account of German espionage in the United States before we entered WWI. Many factories were sabotaged, even though we were not yet in the war, since we were selling arms to Britain and France.

I am hoping...
...oh, please, oh, please, can it stay cold?

I am looking forward to...
...Thanksgiving! I love Thanksgiving; much better than stinky old Hallowe'en. We get together with friends, and there's the Macy's parade.

I am learning...
...some new procedures at work as they are finally going to standardize everything. Formerly you followed the process of the person that taught you the procedure, but now they're going to try to get everyone to do it the same way.

Around the house...
...the dog is asleep. I'm listening to "The Tech Guy" and trying to finish a purchase order, but the software has crashed. What fun.
 
I am pondering...
...I'm still pondering people. We had a ten-year-old girl here, starved and then killed by her father and stepmother. The little girl was living with her grandmother, who learned she was being abused by them, and child protective services put her back with the parents. What a horrible life for that child, and a horrible end. There are some people who long for a child to love and can't afford or are too old to adopt, and then there are brutes like these "parents." 

A favorite quote for today...
Since it is today...

Remember, remember
the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
t’was his intent
To blow up the King and Parli’ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England’s overthrow;
By God’s providence he was catch’d
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
 

One of my favorite things...
...brilliant autumn leaves, and we finally have them! The frost we had almost two weeks ago turned the maples into marvels of color. Some are green slowly shading to yellow to orange and to red, some just a liquid golden color. Other trees have turned maroon, or a bright red.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
More work, and perhaps some fun on Friday and Saturday.

A peek into my day...
It would just be another photo of the dog sleeping. LOL. Even the birds at the feeder are gone.


If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.

Labels: