Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, September 29, 2013
"How Quiet...How Quiet the Chamber Is"

James worked Saturday, so I was on my own. I intended to go to the Farmer's Market, but nature screamed, and by the time I was done with that, it was nine o'clock and I knew there would be no parking spaces left, especially since it was a weekend for the artists' market, too. Willow can do without natural dog biscuits for a week and we can get grape tomatoes at the supermarket.

So I did some housework and put some things away, and then sat down to do some book reviews and watch Flipping Boston. They showed the first episode, the episode where Dave flips a house for an old friend, and finally the condo flip. The one quibble I had with the condo reno was Dave's surprise that a young woman showed up to check it out. This is a guy mindset that this design, with dark wood and one small closet, would only be seen as a "bachelor pad." The fact is that, if you were a woman who led an uncluttered life (including not having the dozens of shoes and clothes that most men assume all women have from the massive propaganda that surrounds women and their clothes/shoes, probably made up by clothing stores), this condo was still perfect. The dark woods in the kitchen were gorgeous and there was an abundance of prep and storage space. If a woman wanted some "typical feminine touches" as they do when staging homes, some small floral-patterned armchairs for either side of the fireplace, some soft items on the shelves along with books, a bowl of fruit or flowers on the island, interesting porcelain-look jars on the kitchen counters, a patterned rug, some floral prints or watercolors on the wall...perhaps a colored curtain instead of the white...excellent for a woman. Guys have to get out of this mindset that all women like girly-girly pink/white/purple crap, just like the stupid Disney princesses.

When James came home we had supper at Panera Bread. It was so lovely that we ate outside and I tossed bits of bread to the sparrows I could hear chirping but couldn't see. I had a cup of chicken noodle soup with their pasta bolognese, which is quite good. Then we had to pick up a replacement CO2 cartridge for James' soda stream and more pads for Willow's "litter box." Finally we stopped at Barnes & Noble, since our ten percent discount is worth twenty per cent this weekend, perfect for buying a couple of autumn magazines. I found a mystery called Anything But Civil; the main character being a woman "typewriter" (today we would call her a typist) in the late 19th century). Unfortunately it's a sequel and I have to hunt up the first book in the series. I also found A.J. Jacobs' newest book, Drop Dead Healthy, on the remainder table.

Was up late last night, first talking to Jen, who was back from one week's underway on her ship, and then Mike. We were watching shows off PBS's website, but the download speed was absurd and I finally gave up after the sound died halfway through the Earthflight episode about South America. Instead I put on Lassie's Great Adventure for the rest of the night.

Had a nice late sleep this morning later followed by a late breakfast. After a series of silly mis-steps we finally left the house, headed for the new used book store, 2nd and Charles. We had a coupon for $5 off $25—and, to be frank, I was still looking for the Doctor Who poster I saw there last time we visited. (I never found it; James did, and bought it for me.)  I did find a nice brand-new copy of A History of the World in 100 Objects at half price, and with a gift book to bring it up to $25, it was a nice savings. After we were done shopping we sat in the Starbuck's next door and had some pumpkin bread.

On the way home we stopped at Publix for those grape tomatoes and a Sunday paper and a few other things, and when we arrived supper, slowly cooking in the crock pot—goat meat simmering in teriyaki/Hawaiian marinade, was finished, and we ate a delicious meal while watching Niagara Falls on PBS and then the first of the three new episodes of Foyle's War. World War II is over, and Christopher Foyle, returned from a trip to the United States, has been recruited by MI5 in the Cold War after his former driver, Samantha, has been implicated in a Soviet spy ring.

You know what I hate about British crime shows? You actually have to pay attention to them! You can't read, or write, or surf the internet while they are on or you will lose track of the plot. They're actually written for adults with an attention span! It's terrible! :-) :-) :-) Seriously, I was wondering if I would like a Foyle taken away from Hastings and plunged into a spy situation instead of a war situation. Silly me to have doubted good scriptwriting and the exemplary acting of Michael Kitchen.

Now I'm on to the season premiere of Elementary.

Labels: , , , , ,