Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, March 29, 2013
In Contemplation

I shouldn't have slept late, but my body craved it so. Finally woke at ten and had to skip breakfast in order to get to Walmart. James needed BreatheRight strips, and I wanted to get a new thistle sock and two new pants' hangers for the new jeans I got at BJs. I couldn't find one thistle sock in two different Walmarts, but I did get the other things. (I also bought bananas there because I'm sick of walking into Kroger and Publix and finding only green ones.) At the second Walmart I also picked up a new tray to use for the bird cage when we go on vacation, since the old one is now providing storage space for my lunchbox and carry bag in my new tiny cubicle.

But I did make it home before noon and grabbed some breakfast so I could sit and do my devotions for Good Friday. I've done this for the past couple of years and like the spiritual calm it gives me. First I listened to the six "Lent Talks" that BBC radio does each year. This year's theme was "abandonment," and, as always, there were varied speakers. Alexander McCall Smith, the author, was one, as was an Imam. I was particularly intrigued by the story of Benjamin Cohen, who was raised in a Jewish neighborhood but attended a Christian school. Every year they would do a Christmas pageant without realizing who all the characters were. He feared abandonment by his religion when he came out, but his synagogue accepted him.

After the Lent Talks, I did the Bible readings for the day: the first reading was from Isaiah 52:13-53:12, and the second from Hebrews 4:14-16 and 5:7-9. The Gospel was John 18:1-19:42.

Finally I put on David Huntsinger's "Autumn in New England" album very low and read Madeleine L'Engle's And It Was Good, the first book in her "Genesis Trilogy." I really enjoy her religious nonfiction.

And, just to prove chores don't stop, not even on Good Friday, I needed to take Willow out and then vacuumed the carpet. I hadn't finished before James arrived home early.

We had supper at Hibachi Grill, then went over to Barnes & Noble with fifteen percent off coupons. They had the Blu-Ray of the first Hobbit movie for a ridiculous discount, so I got that as well as the third of Jennifer Worth's midwife books. (I chickened out on getting the second one, which emphasizes the workhouse patients; it's simply too sad.) I also got a lovely new cross-stitch magazine with pretty blackwork patterns.

And then we did the shopping because I didn't think the supermarkets would be open on Sunday, but we will need to go back to Kroger because they didn't have any buns for my lunch.

Labels: , , , ,