Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, May 15, 2012
The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY, MAY 15, 2012

Outside my window...
...very foggy! If we were near the shore, there would be foghorns plaintively bellowing. As it is, white mist flows ghostly from tree to tree.

I am thinking...
...of all the work I have! Goodness, when the year turns, it turns. Or per Galaxy Quest: "And it exploded!"

I am thankful...
...for shuttle service. In a bit I have to take James' truck to the mechanic to try to get the blower fixed. It's going back up to the 80s in a day or two and it's no fun riding in a car with no interior air circulation at all. In the morning it may be okay, but in late afternoon it's miserable.

In the kitchen...
...I ought to take this option out. I don't cook. However, something is cooking: we're simmering some chevon (that's the goat equivalent of "mutton" or "beef") in the little crock pot with Hawaiian marinade, ginger, and other goodies.

I am wearing...
...turquoise scrub slacks and a purple shirt because when I finish my breakfast I'm going out. When I get home I'll change into black tank top and shorts.

I am creating...
...wish I was creating "zzzzzzzz." I had an unsettled night. The dog barked in the wee hours of the morning. Then I had one of my weird dreams, involving walking to work down a dark path, forgetting something and having to go back, finding work was canceled... Just bizarre. I always awaken from these dreams feeling distant and confused.

I am going...
...LOL...already said that one, take the truck to the mechanic. Otherwise: ...crazy!

I am wondering...
...why I must get these dreams? They really wig me out. I wake up feeling as if I have not slept properly, and even a little drugged, like I'm on a sedative.

I am reading...
...How the States Got Their Shapes Too by Mark Stein and a Daisy Dalrymple mystery, Styx and Stones. I'm finding the village people a little bit of a bore so far, unlike Sayers' village people, who sparkle from the start.

I am hoping...
...to feel better soon, but since it's emotional rather than physical, who knows? I am glad I finally cleared up those floppy disks!

I am looking forward to...
...Timegate! Two Sherlock Holmes panels! A richness!

Around the house...
...quiet. Schuyler is sitting fluffed up watching me and Willow is asleep. What else is a doggie to do when her daddy is gone?

I am pondering...
...scholarly errors. If someone is writing a scholarly book, isn't it essential that the facts be correct? I have just finished a book about how U.S. children's books changed in response to how children were perceived in each era (sinful, redemptive, innocent, carefree, reflecting real life). The errors about some children's books cited are quite annoying. Even though the point the author makes isn't changed by these mistakes, shouldn't the facts (names of characters, basic facts about the plots) be correct?

A favorite quote for today...
From "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock":
The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seeing that it was a soft October night,
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

One of my favorite things...
...WordPerfect! There is no better word processing system. Microslop Word is not fit to lick its boots.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
...more purchase orders. A staff meeting. Need Chex mix and Mandarin oranges.

No pictures today; need to get to the repair place.


If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook.

Labels: