Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, September 29, 2011
The Simple Woman's Daybook
 
FOR TODAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2011

Outside my window...
...it's still a bit dark, as the sun isn't over the trees yet, but the birds are already at the feeder. James and I filled the can last night and they are availing themselves of the fruits of our labor. :-)

I am thinking...
...how nice it is to have my orders finished. Of course next week the FY2012 orders will start! But I won't have to rush to do them.

I am thankful for...
...finishing my orders. :-) The last few were rather tricky.

From the learning rooms...
...just finished a fascinating chapter in Stephen Puleo's A City So Grand, about Boston from 1850 to 1900, about how they filled in the Back Bay. Especially amazing is how they managed to put in all those pilings (all the buildings in the Back Bay are on pilings) with mid-19th century technology. All they had were steam shovels! Incredible.

From the kitchen...
...I lit a Yankee Candle first thing when I got up, so now as I sit here there's a nice scent wafting about the room: this is "maple pancakes."

I am wearing...
...a green men's T-shirt and my green "Mutts" pajama bottoms since both of my tank tops and shorts are in the hamper. I can change after the laundry is done; I'm already much too warm.

I am creating...
...birthday gifts! No other words so as not to spoil the surprise!

I am going...
...to try to clean off the coffee table at lunch. It is really getting unmanageable! I have decided there is no earthly reason to keep old "PC Worlds" or "Shop Smarts." What I need to do is tear out or take note of any useful website and then get rid of the paper copy. I should reinstall my pen scanner on the laptop and scan all the pertinent things. Then I can take the magazines to work and leave them in the lunch room for others to enjoy.

I am reading...
...still working on The Wilderness Warrior (the text is quite dense!) and Stephen Puleo's A City So Grand about Boston from 1850 to 1900. This is a fine follow-on to the fictional The Technologists, which takes place in the same era, and which I finished last week.

I am hoping...
...to start doing some decluttering again. As I may have mentioned before, we have a closet full of old software on floppy disk. We moved them into the house five years ago and haven't touched them since. I think it's time for them to go.

I am hearing...
...pretty quiet right now, just the sound of the computer humming. The A/C has shut off for the morning, Willow's asleep next to the archway to the hallway and Schuyler is sitting sleepily since I haven't turned on the television (and I won't—I'm listening to podcasts today).

Around the house...
...it's still a bit dark. The candle is making the second floor smell lovely.

One of my favorite things...
...my new vacuum cleaner! I know that's mundane, but this little Dyson is so easy to maneuver, and it picks up nicely as well.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
We may go to Ragamuffin on Saturday, as they are having a "Keltic Kudzu" concert.

Here is a picture for thought I am sharing...

This is my tile cow-themed seasonal signboard. It says it all so succintly!


 
If you'd like to participate, check out The Simple Woman's Daybook

Labels: