Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, July 22, 2011
Endings
 
It's been a blue week here. In addition to Borders closing and this being the final flight of the space shuttle, more importantly today is the sixth anniversary of my mother's death. In addition, the purchase orders have tumbled in like a rockslide, as they always do at this time of year, but it doesn't make it any less unsettling.

James had some Borders credits left over, so we did head out there Wednesday evening to use one last coupon. With a touch of nostalgia, I used it on The King's Best Highway: The Lost History of the Boston Post Road (must have been all those trips as a kid to Ann & Hope on Post Road), and also a couple of books off the remainder shelves, Homework for Grownups and Sunnyside, a novel about the silent movie era that I was interested in because one of the subplots is about Lee Duncan, the man who found and trained Rin Tin Tin.

Ironically, when I woke up this morning, it was the first time in two days that my nose wasn't stuffed and my throat didn't hurt. This was good because I wanted to run out and do my errands and get back before it was really hot. (I went out at quarter to nine; it never was cool.) So I grabbed a SlimFast bar and my JoAnn coupons, jumped in the Patriot, and drove up to Town Center.

(Oh, yeah, the Patriot. When I backed out of the driveway last week I noticed droplets of transmission fluid under where the car had been parked. Since my extended warranty runs out on Sunday, I wanted to get that fixed "toot sweet"! So Wednesday I took off a couple of hours annual leave to take my car to the dealership, and came home with a rental car, a Jeep Patriot.)

Half of what I picked up at JoAnn was already on clearance, but I did get to use the coupons for some evenweave fabric and Command hooks. From there I went to Barnes & Noble with their skinflint little 15 percent off coupon, but did find something intriguing to spend it on, Harry Potter and History, as well as a "Reader's Digest" book of deals for people over fifty.

Came home via Publix, which had instant oatmeal on twofers. Also stocked up on Knorr sides, granola bars, and deodorant. I bought six boxes of oatmeal; would have bought more, but didn't want to clean out the shelf of lower sugar maple flavor. Instead I came home, started to have lunch, but instead dubbed off the last of How the States Got Their Shapes. I was almost done when James phoned to say he was being sprung early. Now, as soon as I'd arrived home, I'd downloaded e-mail. Last evening we'd received a farewell e-mail from Borders; today they were already advertising "up to 40 percent off."

So we went back out to East Cobb. It was only the magazines that were 40 percent off, but we got a few we like but don't usually buy: "Renaissance," "Mental Floss," some aviation magazines, plus summer issues of "Country Sampler" and "Birds and Blooms" (I usually only buy the autumn and winter ones). The history books were only 20 percent off, but I bought James a book about the Battle of the Atlantic that he'd looked at on Wednesday. He also found two Tintin books, and a cheap set of DVDs about the history of civil aviation (the DVDs were 20 percent off).

On the way home we stopped at the Johnson Ferry Road Publix for more oatmeal; now I have a good supply. Plus we bought submarine sandwiches from Firehouse Subs for supper, since by the time we got home through the traffic it was almost suppertime anyway. Then about 5:30 we got the call that the car was ready, so we went and got it.

This evening we have been watching the Blu-Ray of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Only one bad thing about Blu-Ray: there's one scene in particular where you can really see where Bill Shatner's hair ended and his toupee started... :-) Otherwise it's a beautiful print, with some interesting extras.

Labels: , , ,