Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, February 23, 2011
There Be Modge-Podge Here
Spent the day working through new orders; still having trouble getting an older one to complete. At one point I went to the bathroom and heard—because the windows were open—a truck outside. It turned out to be the TruGreen guy, who was just finishing the front and hadn't bothered to knock on the door. So I went out and opened the gate for him so he could do the back yard.

A couple of years ago I bought some unpainted wooden trays at Michaels, intending to use them in the living room. James buys magazines and tends to put them on the ottoman for the rocking chair, and then if you want to sit in the rocker, you have to pick up this pile of magazines (and books, and model boxes, and coupons...), which then, of course, promptly topples over sideways. So it's easier to have them on a tray. I have a metal tray there now, but it has no sides and is not very sturdy.

Anyway, I'd gotten as far as painting the outside of one of the trays with barn red paint, and there it sat for ages. Today during lunch I got a wild hair and decided to do the rest of it. I took some autumn-themed scrapbook paper and cut it to fit the flat interior of the tray, then glued it down with Modge-Podge, which is a découpage liquid. It looks like Elmer's Glue, and glues, seals, and glazes all at once, but oh-my-golly, does it smell bad. I'm glad the window was open and I had the ceiling fan on! And still a couple of times there I thought I was going to lose my lunch. Now the tray looks like a "japanned" box, with a shiny surface, and the paper is sealed. I also painted the outside of the second tray (barn red again, but I'll use different scrapbook paper).

James brought home grilled chicken from KFC for supper, and after the news and Jeopardy I put on the Blu-Ray of Star Trek IV. It looks lovely, and as many times as I've seen it, I noticed little details I've missed before. There are some great extras on it, too.

Found this on YouTube: Star Trek IV Bloopers

Labels: , ,