Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, April 12, 2010
Getting on in Years
I thought I slept well last night, but evidently not. I spent the day in a sleepy stupor, going through one order after the other at too slow a pace for me. I should have taken a nap, but I hadn't been to lunch with everyone for a dog's age. So I had lunch with Juanita, Alice and Barry, and now my eyelids feel about four pounds apiece. Stupid pollen. Stupid warm cubicle.

On the way home I had to choose between two traffic situations. I chose poorly and spent over 20 minutes going about four miles. Ugh. Did get to listen to a good Dragnet episode on Radio Classics: "The Big Lift," with the most laid-back bad guy I ever heard.

Greg Bell, the host, said that they would be doing a salute to Norman Corwin (the "Poet Laureate of Radio" and a major writing influence on people like Rod Serling, Gene Roddenberry, Norman Lear and J. Michael Straczynski) on his birthday...he will be one hundred years old on May 3!

I first heard of Corwin during the 1970s, when PBS revived his Christmas play in verse, "The Plot to Overthrow Christmas," as an hour television production. Half of the show was the presentation of the play, and the other half showed the rehearsals and the fascinating business of how the "foley" effects worked for background sound. There are several PBS shows from the past that I would love to find again, and this is one of them. (Another is "Verse Person Singular," a 1980s production that was one hour of Richard Kiley reciting poetry. Bliss!)

You can read Corwin's clever script here and download the broadcast here.

Labels: , ,