Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, January 04, 2010
Life's What Happens...Second 2010 Installment
Turned out to be a bust of a day for getting things done. By the time I picked up James from work, he got the tire pumped up, and we went to the repair place, it was time to go to the doctor. It seemed like we were there for hours. By the time we got home from the doctor, it was three o'clock and we hadn't eaten lunch, so we both had a small Wendyburger and got changed. We'd barely gotten changed when the car place called. Yes, they finally had to replace the tire.

By the time we got back from the tire place, it was after four. It's amazing how long it takes to drive back and forth places.

We watched Schuyler's favorite program (Ellen) and Dr. Phil with Steve Harvey, James made beef bits with brown rice for supper, and there was a new (season premiere) of Antiques Roadshow tonight. Meanwhile, I have been growing more nauseated as the night wears on. Bleah.

It's been a frigid day, with a bright blue sky that slowly clouded over as the hours progressed, and didn't climb out of the mid-thirties. I pulled out our winter coats this morning—our real winter coats, the ones we bought in Rhode Island—and we wore them gratefully. And apparently that's what it takes for the temperature in my cubicle to go under 70°F...twenties at night!

Even more astonishingly, they are predicting snow for Thursday night...real snow that, if it falls, might stay around because the next day will be in the low 30s instead of the mid-50s, which is usually what happens when it snows around here. Wow.

But I won't hold my breath!

I finished my annual read of Sleigh Bells for Windy Foot—that's how long it took at the doctor! I've loved this book since childhood: warm, wonderful tale of a Vermont farm family (dad, mom, oldest boy who owns the titular pony, little sister, littlest brother who loves to create rhymes, plus the hired man who might as well be part of the family) who welcome a horse-loving girl who has ambitions to be a surgeon (in 1948, when the book was published, this was still a fairly novel idea!) and her widower horse-trainer father into their home for the holiday celebration. They ski, snowshoe, gather winter greens for decorations, go sleighing, take part in a community carol sing, shop at the general store...a cocoa-and-warm-hearth sort of story just perfect for Christmas.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention something neat I did with the Droid today. At the beginning of the season, I found an app called "Christmas Radio," multiple internet radio stations playing Christmas music, mostly listening to "Christmas Vinyl." I've been plugging the phone into the car charger and listening to the music that way, since all the Christmas music is gone, even on Syrup...I mean Sirius...XM. But last night I grabbed the old cassette insert I used to use with my CD disk player (it unfortunately broke after I dropped it) and plugged it into the headphone jack on the Droid. Viola!, as Snagglepuss used to say: I can now listen to the music through the car speakers, which are much better than the Droid one. :-)

Labels: , , , , , ,