Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, January 01, 2010
Flybys
The Tournament of Roses Parade had just ended with a blast of F-18s—a parade full of birds and airplanes, quite appropriate since "Sully" Sullenberger was the Grand Marshal, and I'm sitting on the couch watching more airborne action, as the birds are fluttering thick and fast at the feeders: both nuthatches, titmice, that messy red-headed woodpecker, and lots and lots of bluebirds! One tried to land on the diamond-shaped bird wreath on the door to the deck.

So now I've switched channels and am watching the parade replay on the Travel Channel, with Bob Eubanks, Stephanie Edwards (she sounds so much like Betty White to me), and company giving more facts than the HGTV folks did (but there are commercials). I had it on the Hallmark Channel, but the picture was soooo bad compared to the HD feed. I notice Encore Westerns channel is running the series The Virginian today, Have Gun, Will Travel tomorrow, and Gunsmoke on Sunday. Unfortunately, they aren't showing my favorite Virginian, the story about Elizabeth and the white stallion Aladdin. (Looks like it's called "Beloved Outlaw.") I'd love to see that one again...

Never got the nap yesterday. Had turkey soup with crackers for supper and then about eight got prepared to head to Bill and Caran's party. But first—we put the 2010 tags on our license plates. We've only had them for three weeks.

As we were leaving, a sports car drove down the far cul-de-sac, then came back up the street, circled the cul-de-sac near us, then parked there with its lights on. Made me uneasy. I finally called one of the neighbors and let her know. I think it sucks that you have to be so careful. They were probably just lost.

Anyway, great party as always. Had a little of everything, talked with folks, got up-to-date on things, snapped some pictures, sat or stood as needed, and had a great time. I wore the Time Turner James got me for Christmas and got some nice compliments on it. At midnight we kissed, and then got to wish Mike and Jen (and later Rodney) a Happy New Year via the chat app for the Droids. Ain't technology wonderful? There we are at midnight, wishing a good new year to folks thousands of miles away.

Didn't make it to say Happy New Year to Jen, though; just too tired. Gave Schuyler a kiss and James took Wil out, and we went to bed and didn't get up until after ten.

Gosh, I love the horses in this parade: Shires, Appaloosas, the Anheiser-Busch Clydesdales, saddlebreds, Haflingers, miniature horses, mustangs (ridden by Marines), palominos, paso finos, paints, chestnuts, and more.

Labels: , , ,