Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, September 21, 2009
Awash and Wear[y]
Last night was...fun. Thunder continued to grumble, until it was growling quite loud at bedtime. At midnight, the weather radio came on shrilly to report more flood warnings. (I passed it on my way to the bathroom and not only turned the volume down, but covered the speaker with a wad of Kleenex. Basta!)

The soundtrack for the night went thus: ::RUMBLE!:: "Bark, bark, bark!" "Willow, it's okay; go back to sleep!!" ::RUMBLE!:: "Bark, bark, bark!" "Willow, go back to sleep!!" ::RUMBLE!:: "Bark, bark, bark!" "Willow, enough!" ::RUMBLE!:: "Bark, bark, bark!" "Willow, shut up!" etc. James said she did finally stop barking before every rumble, but he knew that only because he didn't fall asleep until 2 a.m. I awoke at every loud clap of thunder, or when a particularly bright bolt of lightning penetrated the light-blocking shades and insulated curtains in our room, so that, needless to say, when the alarm went off at six I was rather bung-eyed.

Snapped on the television for Schuyler and there in glorious darkness lit by headlights and brake lights was a traffic report that looked like something out of Armageddon. About a quarter mile north of where I work is the intersection of I-85 and I-285, flippantly known as Spaghetti Junction for its intertwining elevated ramps. Every single approach to Spaghetti Junction had an accident—yep, from the east, west, north or south. The southern accident wasn't causing much of a backup, and I usually take that route anyway because there are fewer trucks: south on I-75 until it meets with I-85 north of downtown in a V-junction known as the Brookwood interchange, and then north on I-85.

Unfortunately a "lake" of epic proportions had appeared from the rain on I-75 just north of Brookwood. One car was still swimming in it and police had blocked the rest of it off so only the two right lanes were in use.

Not to mention when I looked outside it was like the Twilight Zone...just black. I couldn't even see onto the deck from the window next to it.

So I just booted up my telework connection instead and sat working on one of my replacement PRs until (a) some light actually appeared and (b) all the red warning flashy things disappeared from Spaghetti Junction. Right now it's thundering again and starting to rain, but when I actually drove in it was just a light drizzle.

Schuyler called after me plaintively as I left. Awwww...

Labels: , , ,