Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, June 14, 2009
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Poor James. I bet he only got about four hours sleep last night.

But he dutifully got up at 6:30, or whatever, and went off to work. I woke up again at 7:20, and then managed to sleep till quarter till nine. Evidently during the last hour I had my neck in an odd position, because I woke up with the arthritis in my neck giving me the dickens in the form of a headache.

By the time I got done in the bathroom it was nearly 9:30. We still can't water between 10 and 4, so I pulled some clothes on and went outside to finally wash out that dang plastic storage box in the garage that I want to use on the deck for the grill equipment. I was still headachy and didn't realize until I had wet one of the Xerox boxes in the garage that I was spraying in there. The water doesn't appear to have leaked through to the inside. I should swap out the box, though. Sigh.

It was nice and breezy and the sun was on the other side of the house, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to use the hedge clippers to cut down the bushes a little more. The guy that does our lawn trims them a couple of times a year but he never cuts them as short as I want, and it's getting hard to see St. Francis anymore. So I plugged in the heavy-duty cord and plugged that into the clipper...and nothing happened.

At first I thought something was wrong with the clipper, as it looks like some boring insect has methodically bored holes in its plastic handle. Then I thought perhaps the breaker on the outside plug had been tripped...although it was fine when we used it for the Christmas lights. Finally I did what we used to have to do in the old house to use the power cord in the front yard (since the idiot who built the old house put an outdoor power plug in the back, but not in the front), bring the cord inside to plug in. I tested it out first on the clippers, then on something I knew worked, the nightlight down in the library.

Dang. The cord's deader than the proverbial doornail. (Like Charles Dickens, I don't know what's so dead about a doornail, but...)

Phooey. By the time I could get dressed, get to the closest hardware or discount store that sold new cords, and get back, it would be freaking hot again...and I still hadn't had my breakfast yet and still had the damn headache. Talk about "best-laid plans."

Labels: