Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.

 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

» Thursday, October 23, 2008
In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Daytime
We had two warmish days at the beginning of the week; not hot, but enough to make it comfortable to nap in the car without being hot or cold. I really needed to nap on Monday, as I had experienced one of my screaming nightmares in the wee hours of the morning. I was being smothered by large quantities of cloth—not only cloth, but of that horrible chartreuse green color that appears to be popular for Christmas this year. Thankfully, my Monday night's sleep was much less disturbed.

The weather forecast, however, was a delight. Yesterday was at least 10 degrees cooler. I can't say it was a flawless day, though: I got assigned two rather hairy orders (one of which I was able to do today). Then I sat down at lunch to start a cross-stitch project.

I dropped the needle on what I thought was the sofa as I changed threads and knew I had to find it or I would be sure to sit on it. So I got up...

...and you guessed it, I stepped on it. It went right into the flesh of the arch of my foot, not really deep, but enough when I pulled it out I could feel resistance and the blood came flowing out. What fun. ::snark:: A few minutes of pressure did stop the bleeding and I limped to the bathroom to apply alcohol and an antiseptic Band-Aid. Who would have thought such a little needle would hurt so much?

I was waiting for James to come home last night because I recorded a surprise for him while I was watching Iditarod on Discovery Tuesday night: HDNET showed Thunder Over Louisville, an air show that is held before the Kentucky Derby. Fantastic hi-def photos of jets doing maneuvers over the Ohio River! It looked like a lovely day for an air show, too—it was cloudy; in fact, it looked downright cold, as people were bundled in heavy jackets and coats with hoods up.

Today's weather was better yet: partly cloudy with the sun peeking out only occasionally. By noon I had all the windows open but I closed them again by dinnertime as it was in the fifties outside already and, although I'd turned the heat on, I have the thermostat set to 64°F and actually don't want it to come on unless it gets really cold. It may come on tomorrow, as we're supposed to have one of those damp, rainy days, with the temps not getting out of the fifties. The wind was certainly up today, though; when I took Willow out at six I had to wear a jacket and it was so pleasant outside putting up the Hallowe'en decorations on the porch.

I spent the late- and post-work hours listening to the O'Neill Brothers Christmas CD set I bought last month. I'd previously listened to it only at work and of course had to play it very low. The beautiful arrangements were more enjoyable at a little louder volume, especially a piece that blended Pachebel's "Canon" with a leisurely version of "Jolly Old St. Nicholas."

Labels: , , ,