Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, September 28, 2008
Still Doesn't Work
Been watching Merlin for lack of anything else; I know some folks loved this, but it seems ridiculous still: except for Sam Neill and whomever is playing Nimue, the acting is all over the top—you might think Miranda Richardson was playing Mab as descended from her Queen Elizabeth in Blackadder. Morgan leFey is this silly lisping thing who is acts like a wimpy ancestor of Lily Von Schtupp, and Uther a wild-eyed nothing who reminds me of the Sheriff of Rottingham in Robin Hood: Men in Tights. It's a shame as Richardson is an excellent actress and could have given Mab a real sense of menace, rather than being a kohled refugee from the panto.

I dream of how good this would have been had they based it on the Mary Stewart trilogy...Sam Neill could have really had a good part as the adult Merlin. What a waste of a good actor.

(Okay, I gotta admit: Merlin's horse is gorgeous...but, enough of this awfulness...I'm putting on The Neanderthal Code...)

Labels: