Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, March 14, 2008
Music to Soothe the Sleepy Brain
I'm in the middle of the most mind-numbing task...of course you have to know it involves numbers. (It's not as mind-knumbing as my very first job, but then few things are as boring as charging [putting the solder pellet on pieces of jewelry so the solderer can solder them to a clip].) I have nineteen pages of 52 line items each; each line item is a purchase order I'm supposed to look up and see if it can be closed. About 100 are already done, so this means I have to look up about 825 orders. Stack on top it the problems I have with numbers...I often transpose numbers when I am transcribing and have better luck visualizing the number after I have looked at it, rather than reading it off and typing it—if I read off 21237, for instance, there's a good chance I will type it 21273, but I can visualize the 21237 numerals until I can type them. This is the way I passed school tests in subjects I had trouble with: I would read my notes and textbooks over and over just before the test, and when the question came I could close my eyes and see the pages.

Never worked well in algebra, though, but I could get a solid "A" in geometry every time.

To assuage the boredom I have resorted to my records: "The Partridge Family Album," the soundtrack to You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (the Hallmark Hall of Fame version, the pre-Sally one), QBVII, and just finished Oliver and Company, and now have on "Barry," which includes the hilarious "The Last Duet," Barry Manilow with Lili Tomlin. "You're much too blond!" "You snore!" Mary Fall played the album one day way back when in the 1980s when I used to go up to Boston to visit friends and I had to go out and buy it after hearing "Last Duet."

QBVII, the score written by the late Jerry Goldsmith for the miniseries, reminds me I really need to hunt up the DVD set. It was the first in a series of great miniseries: Holocaust, Rich Man Poor Man, Roots, Eleanor and Franklin... This was also the first LP I bought with my own money rather than getting one as a gift, purchased in the record department of Jordan Marsh at Warwick Mall (back when there was a record department in department stores and a Jordan Marsh at Warwick Mall <wry g>).

Hm. Maybe after this I'll put on the score to Foul Play, which has "Ready to Take a Chance Again"...

Labels: ,