Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, August 30, 2007
Thursday Threesome

Music Quiz!

::Over the Rainbow::

Onesome: "Over-- the Rainbow" Has someone 'Somewhere' done the song better than Judy Garland did in the movie? ...or does she still 'own' it in your opinion?

Oh, she still owns it. I've heard many versions of "Over the Rainbow" and no one quite gets the plaintive message of it through as well. Of course, seeing what she went through, it's particularly apt.

Twosome: the-- best all time album in your collection? ...or one you'd like to have? Sure, the Go-Gos count, but hey...

I should never answer music questions. I never like what everyone else thinks I should like. I don't like most rock (except for Rupert Holmes); my taste runs more to the older things my parents loved: Crosby, Como, Martin...just about every singer from the 30s, 40s and early 50s, except for Sinatra (I got that from my mom; she despised Sinatra). Plus good New Age (George Winston especially), easy listening (John Denver, James Galway, Native American flute music), and Christmas music, especially instrumental and non-pop Christmas music. So asking me about a favorite album is difficult. I'd have to named several: George Winston's "Autumn," "James Galway's Christmas Carol," the Vince Guaraldi soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas, David Huntsinger's "Autumn in New England," and then I wouldn't be finished.

Threesome: Rainbow"?-- As sung by Billy Ray Cyrus? (Yes, on his latest album.) Who has done the best "cover" of a song you like to listen to? You know, better than the original artist...

Er. No one that i can think of. Sometimes I wish they'd go back to the original artist. Sinatra is famous for "New York, New York," but he caressed it; it's a challenging song. Liza Minelli sang it just right.

Labels: