Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, July 09, 2007
Brent's Tag
I Am A Child Of Television: It’s 8 About Me

Here are the rules.

1. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
2. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged must make a post about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog post, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5. Don't forget to leave them each a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.


I'll think about if I tag anyone when I finish.

1. I have never read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and, at this point, really don't care to. I've never been all that fond of high fantasy, although I do like some fantasy series. I have, however, read the entire World Book Encyclopedia. Several times, in fact.

2. I was once bitten by a camel. I believe it was August or September of 1968. Rocky Point Amusement Park in Warwick, RI, thought it would be a swell idea to have animals in Kiddieland: a camel, a donkey, and some other animal (maybe a goat; don't remember). They only had a short fence, about 3 1/2 feet high, around the animal enclosure. Along with several other kids, I was petting the donkey with my arm over the top of the fence—which was allowed—and the camel ambled over, grabbed my upper left arm and bit down hard. I screamed and my dad hit him hard under the jaw and he let me go. I went to the emergency room with a rainbow of bruises; even though the skin wasn't broken, you could see the mark of the camel's teeth on my arm for the next 20 years. Rocky Point paid the emergency room bill and also gave us $250.00 for "pain and suffering." Ironically, the camel later wandered too close to the junior roller coaster and was decapitated. (Yeah, I know...ugh.)

3. I conducted a survey about television viewing habits [waves at Brent] for a journalism class assignment in 11th grade. (The girls' favorite series in 1972: The Waltons. The boys' favorite: Kung-Fu. If that doesn't illustrate the differences between the sexes, I don't know what does. <g>) As a lark I sent the results to Jack Major, who was at that time the associate editor of the Providence Journal's entertainment department. Jack interviewed me at his office and I was the subject of one of his columns.

4. I came by my affinity for budgies in utero: Mom was given one as a gift by my Uncle Guido, who used to raise them, when Dad announced she was pregnant. She had always wanted one and he gave her the pick of the flock.

5. I have visited the set of a television series. When my Remember WENN web site was in its infancy [I've always wanted to say that], a friend of series creator Rupert Holmes' brought it to his attention. We corresponded, and when I told him James and I would be "up north" visiting my mother in 1998, he invited us on the set. It was super. We partook of the craft services table, were introduced to Melinda Mullins, Kevin O'Rourke, Hugh O'Gorman, Tom Beckett, and George Hall, watched them filming the episode "Work Shift," talked to director Juan Campanella, and had our photo taken with Carolee Carmello. At one point I ran out of film (I had taken the exposed rolls when we left home, rather than the blank ones) and one of the crew "found" another roll for me (I suspect he went out and bought it). Nicest. Folks. Ever.

6. I can still sing the theme song to My Mother the Car (without having to look up the words). (I was nine at the time. Gimme a break...)

7. I once met Dave Allen. Dave Allen At Large ran on WSBK-TV 38 in Boston in the late 1970s/early 1980s and despite protests from conservative Catholics, the series did fairly well (not as well as The Benny Hill Show, sorry to say). One of the stops on Allen's 1981 one-man show in the United States was the Wilbur Theatre in Boston. I went with two friends, Steve and Liz, and after the show we went to the stage door (my first time doing so; both Steve and Liz attended plays in London and had done so numerous times). Anyway, we were invited inside and instead of just giving autographs, Dave Allen came out and talked with us for a while. He loved ghost stories and was fascinated to find out that Liz worked in the Witch House in Salem during the autumn. He was hoping he had a little time to visit Salem while he was in town.

8. I didn't get a bicycle until I was fifteen years old, and then I had to talk my doctor into recommending it to my parents. My dad was very overprotective and was afraid I would get hit by a car. (I wasn't allowed to have Tinkertoys, either. You know all those warnings your mom shouted at you about not running with a stick in your hand? My dad's sister actually did get her eye poked out with a stick when she was a child. Not a Tinkertoy stick, but this was dad's logic...)

Okay, not sure who will reply, but I tag

Emma
Jerry
Daniel
Sue ("Vampry")
Cousin Donna (if she has time)
Elaine (but she doesn't have to respond during her vacation!)

and James, of course.

Brent, did you say Ivan's already been tagged?

Oh, yeah, and Nicki, if she's still reading out there in the Wild West. :-)

Labels: