Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, June 15, 2007
Friday Five

1. Do you download music not from the popular genres of Top 40, pop, rock, rap, dance, R&B, or country?

I haven't downloaded music in a long time. I used to have both WinMX and Kazaa Lite. I never went on them for popular songs; I didn't like them. I think I downloaded "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" for James, that was it. I was downloading old radio shows and singers like Lou Monte and out-of-print Christmas music.

2. Are there any musicians for whom you've downloaded a significant amount of their material yet own few or none of their albums?

Again, what I was downloading wasn't on albums on sale (except maybe at used record stores).

3. Have you ever enjoyed a downloaded album so much that you went and bought the physical album?

I haven't, but I downloaded the Moody Blues Christmas album from one of the binary groups for James and when he heard it, he bought it.

4. How many different ways of playing music do you own (such as radio, stereo system, computer, Walkman/Discman, mp3 player, mp3-ready phone, etc.)?

Well, there's two stereos with a phonograph, plus James' turntable and tape player, the two clock radios in our bedroom and one in the spare room (not sure it still plays), the two computers, the two PDAs, the three DVD players which are also CD players, my portable CD player that plays MP3s, James' big Sirius radio player (the Sirius radio from the car fits in it, but he's using mine), the XM radio in my car, and also the television (Dish Network has their own music channels plus carries the Sirius music channels). Oh, yeah, and there's the little AM/FM/Shortwave we brought home from my mom's.

5. Do you still have and/or play a favorite vinyl album, cassette tape, or 8-track tape?

Man, you're kidding, right? I still have enough records to need one of these and yes, I still play them. At least half of them are not out on CD, like the Christmas album the Cranston High School East a capella choir recorded (my best friend and another girl had a duet in one of the songs). I also have a big rack of cassettes with things I recorded off the television that are not on video or DVD, like CBS: On the Air and NBC: The First Fifty Years. In the living room we have a rack of filk tapes and soundtracks, some of the latter I've never seen on CD, like "Anne," the music from Anne of Green Gables. I have radio tapes, too. I have a case full of Christmas tapes, some of them are obscure stuff like English waits and choirs that I bought when Oxford Books went out of business.

James has as many records as I do, but our tastes are wildly divergent. I think we both have the Star Wars soundtracks, though, and maybe Superman.

Labels: ,