Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, April 12, 2007
Thursday Threesome

From the story book shelves

::Heroes and Villains::

Onesome: Heroes-- from the movies? Who was your hero in a movie, TV show or book when you were growing up?

Well, Lassie, of course!!!! And Fury and Old Yeller, and most of the other animal stars, when I was small. I also loved Roy Rogers and Sky King and Lucas McCain (the Rifleman). When I turned nine I had a new hero, Maxwell Smart, and also Gallegher the newsboy-turned-reporter from the stories about him on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.

Twosome: and-- while we're at it: any 'new' heroes in any shows or books lately?

Oh, I dunno, I'm pretty fond of Harry Dresden from the Jim Butcher books. And of course there is Gregory House, who is an ass, but an interesting ass. Plus there's always Hermione Granger, who makes it "okay" for a girl to be smart.

Threesome: Villains-- can be "bad guys" or just plain scary; which one scaried the heck out of you as a kid? (No flashbacks, please; just go for a bad guy if you'd prefer!)

When I was very little it was the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz. I'm not sure how old I was the first time my folks allowed me to stay up to see it (at that time it was on CBS yearly at six or 6:30 p.m. on the first Sunday night after the New Year, and ended at eight or afterward, which was wayyyyy after my bedtime), but the witch scared the daylights out of me. I woke up screaming all that night and wasn't allowed to watch Oz again for years. (Oddly, it wasn't any of the famous scenes, like "surrender Dorothy" or melting that I had nightmares about, it was her being able to see someone in her crystal ball. That just freaked the hell out of me.)

Another movie I remember that scared the daylights out of me was something called The Good Humor Man, a comedy. The hero sold ice cream but got involved with bad guys. At one point in the story, they shoved him inside his ice cream truck and later he was found, frozen stiff as a board. Of course this was a comedy and he recovered, just like in a cartoon, but this gave me nightmares for weeks.

As you can guess, I never actually watched horror movies after all that.

Labels: , ,