Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, April 05, 2007
Baby, It's Cold Outside...and Crawly Inside
Here it is 12:30 p.m. and it's still only 48°F out, with a wind chill. It was 37 when we got up this morning. The wind is quite brisk; it keeps blowing the plastic Easter eggs I have as part of the porch decorations off the rocking chair and onto the lawn! From my desk I can hear the banner flapping in the breeze. I'm in nice comfy sweats and looking forward to our walk.

I didn't sleep well after yesterday's ant invasion, so the dark bedrooms are a continual temptation. We had another problem come up while I was cleaning up after the ant spraying: it seems we also have little baby german roaches. These are mostly coming out from under the refrigerator and the stove. I'm quite flummoxed. I don't get paper bags from the grocery store because they often have roach eggs in them and we don't keep cardboard boxes in the kitchen.

However, a Friday or two ago we did a stock-up at BJ's and brought the groceries home in a cardboard box. There might have been some german roaches in there. The only other time I've seen them in the house is after I brought a bag of wild bird seed home from Fred's, the discount store, but that was over a month ago. There were two or three of them around the bag, which I had left in the dining room because it had been raining that day. I killed them and immediately put the bag outside and did not see any more. Could some others have escaped notice and gone to ground under the appliances and suddenly bred now? These are certainly babies: they're smaller than the ants and the grown ones are larger.

Anyway, I locked Wil in her crate last night for safekeeping and sprayed under both fridge and stove, as well as on the baseboards, then got up with James this morning and before he emerged to take Willow for her walk, scrubbed down the floor again in those locations. Found about eight dead roaches and later one live one moving a bit slowly.

Very aggravating. I hate bugs. Certainly has me out of sorts to enjoy the nice weather.

Labels: ,