Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, March 06, 2007
RI Author Rediscovered
Providence: Following the Footsteps of a Horror Icon

Somewhere between 1979 and 1984, the World Horror Convention was held in Providence, at the Biltmore Hotel, and Gail Paradis and I went. I think Gail liked some horror; I didn't like any, but it was a convention, after all. We got to hear Stephen King speak—he was very funny; I remember a complaint about book cover illustrators who don't read the book and he held up a copy of Carrie that featured this glamourous young woman on the cover, asking "Who is this? It's sure not fat, pimply Carrie White!"

And we also took one of the Lovecraft tours as mentioned here as a special event. It was rather interesting; the guide also mentioned other authors' connections with the area, including a place where Edgar Allan Poe used to go to "moon over a girl." :-)

Labels: ,