Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, March 05, 2007
Monday Madness

1. From beth:
What's the most unusual hobby you have? How did you get started with it?


I guess that would be collecting the bound issues of the children's magazine St. Nicholas, which was published from 1873 through 1940. I saw this magazine mentioned a lot in old children's books from the era and then found a 1917 copy in a used bookstore. I just kept it as a curiosity until I bought a bound volume from 1889 in Brattle Books up in Boston. Then I just had to keep going! They are so great to read, just a picture of the culture of that era in a microcosm, down to how words were spelled differently: to-day, Esquimeaux, trowsers, bowlder, Corea, Tokio, etc.

2. From briar:
How many different kinds of music do you listen to? Name a few favorites, if you please.


I like New Age (especially George Winston, also David Arkenstone and David Huntsinger [one of my favorite CDs of all time is Huntsinger's "Autumn in New England"]) and Big Band. I don't have a favorite Big Band, though. And all sorts of Christmas music, especially instrumentals of traditional and regional songs that are not frequently played, like "Still, Still, Still" or "The Huron Carol."

3. From iris:
Do you take advantage of the outdoor areas where you live? What's your favorite thing to do outside? What's your favorite local bird?


Not as much as I should. My favorite thing to do outside in the winter/when it's cool is to walk. I need to get my bicycle fixed so I can ride it. My favorite thing to do outside in the summer is run inside quick, where it's air conditioned and I can breathe properly. My favorite local bird is the Carolina chickadee, although I'm growing very fond of the tufted titmouse!

4. From kristy:
Children: Do you have any?


No kids, just fids (furred and feathered kids). We tried, but the one time I thought I "caught" I hadn't.

5. From amy:
What is your favorite part of spring?


There are favorite parts of spring? Okay, I won't be a spring Scrooge. The flowering trees and bushes are pretty. Right now we already have daffodils and the plum or cherry trees are blooming; not sure which they are. The blooms are a light purply color, a bit pinkish. But the flowers just make me sneeze and the allergens in the pollen makes my joints ache, and spring means hated summer is coming.

Labels: