Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, March 09, 2007
A Friday "Abroad"
Started off at Barnes & Noble, where I was saddened to see the further demise of what had been my favorite cross-stitch magazine. This was the British Quick & Easy, which began as a magazine catering to small designs. They often featured the sampler-type designs of Jo Verso, until, sadly, Ms. Verso died in a car accident.

B&N dropped Q&E for the longest time (about three years) and then started getting it again. But the magazine had changed; the designs were no longer solely small. Some were pretty complicated, overlapping the type of patterns in The Cross-Stitcher, Cross-Stitch Crazy, Cross-Stitch Gold, etc. So why was it still called Quick & Easy?

Now they've tweaked the magazine again, so it is cross-stitch and papercrafts. Like there aren't tons of papercraft magazines out already, while you can hardly find cross-stitch magazines anymore. They are pretty much overwhelmed by quilting and scrapbooking mags. I like to go to the B&N at Bells Ferry because it's got the best supply of cross-stitch magazines.

I ticked off a future Christmas gift at JoAnn and discovered they had a $1 Easter glitter kit like the one they had for Valentine's Day. Also found a little picture for the bath and a future project. Oh, and the "duck tape" to finish repairing my Wide Awake, which has been done. Gas at Costco. A book at Border's.

Found some great, inexpensive Easter decorations at the Dollar Tree in Acworth. This is a new Dollar Tree in a new shopping center, so it was neat and clean, with lots of useful things. They even had Colgate toothbrushes for $1.

Bought a crosspatch puzzle book at Books-a-Million. Yay! They are the only place that carries them any longer.

I was tooling my way home and remembered as I came by Jim Miller Park that the library sale was today. Got there about 45 minutes before closing. Slim pickings. I remember when I loved library sales because I could find the best old children's books. Now it's just modern stuff. But I hold out in hope to find a Beany Malone or a Katie Rose book.

I did find a book called Watch Your Language! about the vagaries of English, and one of the CNN millenium celebration videotapes for a dollar apiece.

Labels: , , ,