Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, February 08, 2007
Thursday Threesome

Aeronauticals, perhaps?

::Pitch, Yaw, and Roll::

Onesome: Pitch-- What is your singing range? ...and do you sing at all? Laurie, you're leading off here <g>!

I was told when I was younger that I had a nice singing voice, not professional or anything, just for church. However, several hundred colds and one thyroid cancer surgery later, my singing voice isn't much at all.

Twosome: Yaw--'ll ken that one? Do you have any 'dialect words' that you use as a matter of course? "Ken", meaning "to understand" (Scottish and other derivations) in this case...

Well, I've learned not to use them here, but many before I left home: "bubbler" for water fountain, "cabinet" for milkshake (in Rhode Island a milkshake has milk, flavor, and thickener, no ice cream; in Massachusetts if you want ice cream in it, you ask for a frappe—of course in Massachusetts, if you want a soda you ask for "tonic," which is pronounced more like "tawnic"), "grinder" for submarine sandwich, "bunk school" or "bunk" for play hookey, "gravy" for spaghetti sauce, "doughboys" for fried dough (or elephant ears), etc. Plus there were all the Italian terms: "stai zitto" for shut up," "stunath'" (sp?) for stupid, "sfachieme" (again, sp?) for...well, Mom used to use it when I was being particularly obstreperous, "basta" for "Enough!", etc.

Threesome: and Roll-- on down the road? Hey, if the roads were as icy as they've been in the Midwest and East would driving to work even be a consideration for you?

I prefer not to drive on ice and have stayed home when it was very bad. But I have driven on icy roads. Not fun. I remember the day I was on my way to classes and had to brake and turn left at an intersection. Well, I turned left all right, but the car didn't stop when I put on the brake. I slid right through the stop sign, keeping the wheel turned to the left all the time. Good thing no one was coming the other way!

And both my dad and I made it home through the Blizzard of '78, after 2 p.m. when Governor Garrahy shut the state down because driving was too hazardous, when many other people's cars got buried in snow and they spent a week at the train station or the bus station or the hospital...so I can do it. But it's not fun and it's frightening.

Labels: