Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, February 26, 2007
Techie Question
We have two telephone jacks in the living room. One has the DSL modem plugged into it. The other is on the other side of the room and has the phone/answering machine plugged into it. Actually, there is a two-socket splitter plugged into the jack. The phone is plugged into one.

When I work at home, I plug the printer/scanner/fax unit into that other socket.

Even if the fax unit is not plugged into the electrical socket, sometimes when I plug the phone line from the fax into that socket, the DSL connection drops out, sometimes just for a few seconds, sometimes to the point where I have to unplug it to reset it. When I unplug the fax phone line from the socket, sometimes the same thing happens.

Since this is not the same jack as the DSL modem is plugged into, anyone know why this happens? Is it preventable? Thanks.

Labels: ,