Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, February 23, 2007
The Mysteries of Borders Rewards--and a Fruit Purchase
For some reason, James and I often get different coupons, although we belong to the same program. This weekend I got a 30 percent off one book or one DVD if $10 or more is spent. James, not to mention another friend who also has Borders Rewards, got one for $5 off $50. That's okay, I share.

(This has worked backwards, too. James once got a "goodie" that I did not receive. He shares, too. <g> 'Tis puzzling.)

So I skipped to a couple of Borders today using both the coupon and my personal shopping day to get some books that had just come out, including Jim Butcher's latest Harry Dresden book in paperback. Also hit Michael's for some fruit.

Okay, let me explain that. I had my 40 percent off coupons. I have been looking at all the St. Patrick's Day hoopla, and had looked a couple of websites about a "St. Joseph's altar," which is a three-tiered (symbolizing the Trinity) display of a statue of St. Joseph for his feast day on March 19. I don't think I can manage the three tiers, especially since I would put it on the china cabinet, but I would like to do a small one. So I bought an artificial bunch of grapes and an orange. Most of the St. Joseph altars include a lot of citrus fruit, bread, and fava beans. Michael's has an artificial loaf of bread, but it's huge, over a foot long. I need something that looks like a dinner roll! :-) So I'll get a lemon with another coupon. The hard part is rounding up a St. Joseph statue. This area of Georgia isn't exactly a Catholic bastion. I have found some online, but they range from $22 all the way into three figures. I tried to find a Catholic store I found online on Sandy Plains Road today, but may have gone the wrong way; I didn't see it.

They might have St. Joseph statues at the monastery.

Labels: ,