Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Who Makes the Decision?
Adults Living With Kids Eat More Fat

The woman interviewed in this story "said trips to the grocery store usually revolved around her kids' tastes.

"'You buy cookies and you buy snack foods and you buy hot dogs and you buy canned raviolis and all this, and now that's there when you open the cabinet...'"

Er? Since when did what kids wanted at the grocery store dictate what food mom and dad bought? My mom never bought cookies or snack foods if she didn't want me to have them. I had either a small bag of Fritos or a Yodel in my lunch box for recess. For lunch I had a sandwich, a fruit, and milk. No junk food was allowed. We generally didn't have snack food in the house except for what I took for recess and I wasn't allowed to drink soda, either. Mom used to buy hermits from the bakery, but she had them for breakfast during the week, and I ate them on weekends instead of (non-sugar) cereal, not in addition to. When I snacked, I did so on Special K or bread. The only time we had a lot of baked goods in the house was at Easter or Christmas. Granted, you can't regulate what they buy with their allowance when they're on their own, but why buy processed food for kids if you want them to eat healthy meals? If they're hungry enough, they'll eat granola bars or cereal or fruit.

Labels: