Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, December 15, 2006
Wow, I didn't realize I hadn't done Friday Five in that long.

This week:

Crushes

1) Who was your first crush? (Celebrity or average)


Celebrity crush was Don Adams. I was almost ten and Get Smart had just premiered on NBC. My first guy crush was about the same time. His name also was Don; his parents bowled with my parents on Sunday night and he also came along with his folks, along with the daughter of another couple that my parents bowled with, Jeanne Miller. (Jeanne went to Catholic school and learned cool stuff, like anatomy. I was always envious.) Don was a couple of years older than I was, and the minute he was old enough to drive, he didn't come to the bowling alley any longer.

2) Who do you currently have a crush on now?

James, of course!

3) Have you ever become so obsessed with a crush, you went to extreme measures to find out everything about him/her?

Well, I bought movie magazines with Don Adams' stories in them and wrote to NBC and got an autographed photo, but that was about it. :-)

4) Has your crush ever turned out to be your future girlfriend/boyfriend?

No, despite what the Ouija board said. (Short story: Best friend Sherrye, another girl—I think it was Lisa Alhaverdian—and I didn't get invited to a school dance, so we had a party on our own. Either Sherrye or Lisa brought a Ouija board, which said I was going to marry Don.)

5) Did a best friend ever turn into more than just a friend?

Well, yes. James was a best friend.

Last week:

1. If you could, would you be a movie star or a rock star? Which one, and why?

Neither. I'm not interested in being famous as an actor. Might be interesting to be a radio star, but those are a bit of an extinct species.

2. Have you ever been in the media (TV, radio, papers)?

I was interviewed once on WSB after a bunch of us went to see Dick Tracy. I told them my favorite part of the movie was Charlie Korsmo (sp?), who played the little boy. I was once interviewed by the television/radio editor of the Providence Journal in eleventh grade. I had done a survey of television-watching habits among high schoolers for my journalism class and sent him the results, so he did a column about it. (The girls' favorite program was The Waltons; the boys' favorite was Kung Fu.) I was also interviewed in 1998 for the Marietta Daily Journal about my Remember WENN website.

3. Do you know anyone who's been on a reality TV show?

No.

4. Have you ever met anyone famous?

Sure, most of the cast of Remember WENN: Melinda Mullins, Kevin O'Rourke, George Hall, Amanda Naughton, Tom Beckett, Carolee Carmello and Hugh O'Gorman, plus the crew including director Juan Campanella. Carolee took us backstage at the Fox Theatre when Scarlet Pimpernel came to Atlanta, and Tom came out to talk to us after the performance of Thumbs that we saw in Nyack. Kevin used to show up in our chat room occasionally when WENN was still on the air. I've also met comedian Dave Allen when he did a show in Boston in 1981; Steve, Liz and I went to the stage door and he invited us inside to talk. He was fascinated because Liz worked at the Witch House in Salem, MA, and he loved ghost stories. Also met Nick Tate of Space: 1999 and James and I had breakfast with Peter David at one DragonCon (we were with a friend of mine, Mary Bloemker, who knew Peter back when he was writing Doctor Who fanfiction).

Had a near miss, too: James Doohan came to our room party during "Snowcon" (February of 1979) at the Hotel Pennsylvania (then the Statler Hilton), but none of us were in the room. :-) (Mary had a migraine and Ann just wanted to be quiet, Rosie and Gail had gone to supper, and Alice and I wanted to watch Backstairs at the White House.)

The nicest and best famous person I've ever met is Rupert Holmes: consummate writer and musician, funny as all get out, and a gentleman to boot.

5. Who would play you in a movie?

This question again? Someone boring, I'm sure.

Thanksgiving weekend:

1. What are you most thankful for?

Being alive. :-) (When you've had cancer, you think about that a lot.)

2. Think back one year, have the things you are thankful for changed?

Er, no, thank God. :-)

3. What did you feast on yesterday?

James made turkey, carrots, and a sweet potato souffle without the marshmallows (it was a recipe from Cooks Illustrated and thankfully not sweet). James' mom brought mashed potatoes and some green beans. For dessert we had pumpkin bread and apple pie.

4. This time of year is filled with parties, gifts, friends, and family, what are you looking forward to the most?

Well, we already went to one: the tour of homes. I've wanted to do that for years. And our Twelfth Night party. And giving out gifts. I love to give gifts.

5. Christmas is coming up, what if anything do you want for it?

Good company.

*BONUS: How do you like to cook your turkey?

Well, James cooked the turkey; he's the chef in the house. He brined it overnight just like Alton Brown is always recommending (for the sweet he used a cup of the dark maple syrup my cousin Donna brought us back from Vermont; thanks, Donna!). Then he cooked it and basted it with red wine. Heavenly...

Labels: ,