Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, December 14, 2006
Thursday Threesome

Last week's:

From the Holiday Series

::Christmas is Coming::

Onesome: Christmas-- shopping: done deal? Haven't started? "Oh, man! Yeah, I need to make a list!" (I'm thinking this one may sort out by gender...)

It's done. Now that the tree's up I need to wrap the gifts and that will give me a last look at what I may need. I know I have two crafts projects I need to sit down to do, but I don't need the gifts until New Year's Eve.

Twosome: is-- it time to decorate yet? ...or do you still have another week or two to go?

The tree goes up on the weekend nearest my birthday, which was Monday. We were going to put it all up on Sunday, but got in so late that we just assembled it and put on the lights. Monday I did the ornaments and all the tinseling. It took a while to finish. :-) (Contrary to what James says, I do not put icicles on one at the time. Three at the time, maybe.) Next year will be better, I hope.

Threesome: Coming-- or going? ...or staying home? Are you visiting or hosting this Christmas? ...or both?

No idea yet. We usually are invited to dine with friends, but they may have other plans this year. If we're on our own, we'll buy strictly dark meat turkey, add some carrots and potatoes and the stuffing from Thanksgiving, and have a good time on our own. Wil and Pidge would certainly love it!

This week's:

From the Holiday Series

::Holly Jolly Christmas::

Onesome: Holly-- Hmmm... Do you have holly where you are? Is it used for decorating? ...and if not, what types of greenery are used to show off the season? Inquiring minds and all that...

We used to have holly in the bushes around our porch. There used to be a big holly bush outside my work building, but they tore it up for smaller bushes. Several varieties grow around here. We use artificial greens for decorating due to my allergies. The one time we had a live Christmas tree I had bronchitis the entire time the tree was up.

Twosome: Jolly-- Jolly Elf or The Grinch? How is your Christmas experience going so far?

Not too bad. Getting used to the new tree was a bit daunting since we've always had a small tree (4 1/2 feet) and I decorated it myself. Also, all the decorations had a certain spot in the old house. This year I had to figure out the new space where each thing would go. And making the 1940s village was a lot of fun.

I enjoyed the Historic Home Tour very much. This weekend (cross fingers) we are driving out to Birmingham for a Christmas party and next weekend we are planning to attend the Atlanta Radio Theatre performance at the Stage Door Players. A week later we will drive down to see James' family and the next weekend is our annual Twelfth Night party. I also hope to get to the Monastery in Conyers sometime during the season (maybe before the ARTC performance).

Threesome: Christmas-- Hey, I miss ol' Burl Ives singing the song in this header: who does your favorite Christmas song? ...and which song is that? Yes, yes, you're allowed more than one <g>...

I have so many versions of favorite Christmas songs. My favorite Christmas song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Of course Judy Garland does the definitive version. My favorite Christmas carol is "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen." I think I like Nat King Cole's version the best. Other favorites: Bruce Mitchell's "Joy to the World" (smashing instrumental version), Mannheim Steamroller's "Deck the Halls" and also "Silent Night" (a heartbreaking arrangement), Karen Carpenter singing "It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well, Little Children," and of course Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas."

• Listening to: Christmas at King's (King's College Choir from Cambridge, England).

Labels: , ,