Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, November 18, 2006
Electronic Weirdness
Incidentally, we have something weird going on at the entertainment center, but we're not sure what it is.

Quick setup explanation:

Channel 3 is the television tuner input; it receives the satellite input, but is not in HD. We have had some trouble with it lately; the picture gets snowy. If you jostle the television slightly, the picture gets clear again. We figure something in the tuner is loose and need to call Circuit City before the warranty runs out.

Component 1 filters the satellite signal through the DVD recorder/VCR.

Component 2 is the direct HD signal from the satellite box.

Video 1 is the input we have set up with the Cyberhome, our Region 2 DVD player.

We were watching television through 1 a.m. this morning on Component 2. Before James came home from work, I had watched two British DVDs on Video 1. Everything played fine. When we went to bed, as always unless I am recording something during the night, I switched off the satellite box, the television, and the DVD machines.

This morning when I turned the television on the picture was ... bizarre. The only two colors really showing were red and green. I tried turning the television and the satellite box on and off, but it was still like that. It reminded me of the old color Christmas story I described watching a few nights ago, which had faded so much all you saw was red and green.

I was very upset, and even more intrigued when I switched the video inputs.

The color to Channel 3 comes in fine. So does the color signal in Component 1. It's just Component 2 that looked bad. So I wondered if something had gone wrong with the HD feed.

However, tonight, on a wild hair, I turned on Video 1 and the Cyberhome player. Usually you get a big blue screen with the Cyberhome logo on it. Instead there was just a blue bar to the right of the screen. I put a DVD in the player and it started to load, but the logo at the beginning of the DVD was scrambled against a black screen. And oddly, a black shadow at the lower left part of the screen kept moving up and down to obscure part of the logo. I opened the player, then closed it again. This time either the disk didn't load at all or we had lost the picture completely.

So it can't be the HD feed, can it? Can the Component 2 cable and the Video 1 cable have both suddenly gone bad (one is a component cable and one is an S-video cable)? Or have the Component 2 electronics and the Video 1 gone west at the same time? Both of them? At once? Very strange.

Anyone got any ideas what's gone wrong here? Rodney? Jerry? And if it is the television, what do I tell Circuit City when I call them? Any idea what to call the situation?

Labels: