Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, September 21, 2006
Thursday Threesome

Party time?

::Ice Cream Social::

Onesome: Ice-- skating? Yes? No? Rinks? Ponds? No way?

I have never ice skated or roller skated. My dad was very overprotective and worried, especially with roller skating, that I would go into the street and get hit by a car, since we were on the corner of a very busy street. I didn't learn to ice skate because we didn't have the money to buy skates or pay the fee at the rink. About 20 years ago I went with some friends to the roller rink and tried to learn to skate. All I did was fall backwards and catch myself on my hands; I finally hairline fractured one of my elbows and my forearms swelled up so badly I couldn't type for three days.

I've never known anyone who skated on a pond, at least of my age. Do they still skate on ponds, like in Little Women and The Bishop's Wife and The Tuckers: The Cottage Holiday? I'm always fascinated at hearing about these towns in the early 1900s that set out such things around the ponds, including lights and food stands, so people could go skating. They would raise a red ball or red flag to show the ice was safe. I think a black ball or flag meant the ice was unsafe.

Twosome: Cream-- soda? The work of evil scientists or a true pleasure in life <g>?

I don't like soda. My pediatrician told my mom it was bad for me, so I never got a taste for it. The only time I could drink soda was if we went to the beach in the summer and the refreshment stand didn't have milk or juice. The only soda I ever got even a little liking for was Warwick Club Lemon Lime and even that made me burp so much I'd get sick.

Threesome: Social-- Are you considered to be a social person? ...or are you more likely to not be comfortable with a bunch of people around you? ...and wait a moment: how about in a classroom situation? Is that different for you?

I'm comfortable in social situations with my friends. You mean classroom as in being a student? That was okay. I was the one studying, though, most of the time, rather than horsing around. The only time I remember doing that in class was one day in eleventh grade English when Ira Bloom, Mark Winkler and I were flying paper planes around the classroom before Miss Lorenzo walked in.

Labels: