Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, September 30, 2006
A Perfect Early Fall Day
I can't tell you how nice sleeping was last night. It went down to 45°F, and without the fans on (except the ones in the bedroom) the interior house temp went down to 66. I could sleep under the comforter and it was soooo nice. The day today was 70s and breezy except for very late in the afternoon when it went into the low 80s; I took the opportunity to use the new push broom we bought at Ace Hardware this morning (we had a $10 off coupon and got the broom and a tarp to cover the A/C compressor during the winter) to sweep out the garage.

I bought the new Yankee last night and one of the ads reminded me of Edward Hamilton Books (erhbooks.com) which sells remaindered volumes. I found a couple of things I thought James might like for Christmas, a Jo Verso cross-stitch book I had never heard of, a cultural history of Hallowe'en, and one of the Davey and Goliath DVDs, the one with the Christmas episode on it, which I remember fondly. None of these cost over $6.

Speaking of DVDs, we stopped at a local discount store called Fred's and they had "remastered" (there's that word again) DVDs in paper sleeves, two for $1. I got a disc of black and white Christmas shows (including a version of Fulton Ousler's "A String of Blue Beads" which I did not realize had been filmed) and what said it was two episodes of Kimba the White Lion. I wondered if this was the "remake" done in the early 90s, which I heard was hideous, and sure enough it was: the show had been completely re-edited, with new music (the majestic Japanese score had been replaced with typical "funny" cartoon music) and new voices. Man, the latter are pathetic: the person who originally did the English voice of Kimba was a young woman, but could make her voice sound like that of a young boy to represent a young male lion; it is painfully obvious in the redubbed version that Kimba is a girl!!! Ugh.

James had his monthly club meeting today, so I went off to Michael's and to Border's. Able to ride with the windows and the sunroof wide open and listen to the 40s music channel on XM. Ah, fall!

Labels: ,