Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Saturday, September 09, 2006
The Parade of Life
Eventful day.

We stopped by Borders because we had coupons and I discovered a real find, albeit incomplete: it's a huge, two-volume history of World War I (well, the first two volumes of a 13-volume set) for only $5. The kicker is that it's a reprint: it was written during the war! The photographs alone are priceless; actual battlefield photos, photos of the troops, photos of the leaders of the time, including Winston Churchill as a young man and Lord Kitchener and the Kaiser. Fascinating.

This afternoon I picked up my new glasses. I didn't think the prescription changed much, but I've been getting used to them all afternoon. I can read fine but the new strength in the distance almost makes my eyes cross. I didn't mention it, but the glasses I liked best had sort of a pale purple splotching on the frames (they say it's "mauve") and I was a bit reluctant to get the "pink," but I guess it's not too bad. The temples are also a pinky-lilac-mauve—but on the sunglasses, they made the temples in grey to match the tint of the glasses. Looks cool.

We just got back from the neighborhood meet and greet. The neighborhood is almost complete: one person is moving in this week, another on the 22nd, and there are two homes left for sale. One they think they have a contract on and if they do, those people will be moving in on the 22nd.

We are a United Nations of nationalities here, and from all parts of the US. We have refugees from Katrina and couples from Florida, students at Life College and even a pair of retirees. One of the families in the neighborhood is Turkish and there are a couple of Asian families as well. The Spanish family across the street from us didn't come to the party because they were having their own; looked like a little girl's birthday. Looking at the children just at the block party, not to mention the birthday party, I figure we're going to have a pretty lively Halloween. Well, we've got our candy all ready; it's in the spare room keeping chilled!

Labels: ,