Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Sunday, September 17, 2006
A Day at the (Af)fair and Other Happy Encounters
We did a quick grocery shopping "in the forenoon" as the old books say and then were off to A Blue Ribbon Affair at Jim Miller Park. We were there about two hours, having lunch, then wandering among the craft booths. It was still small as it was last year, but some solid vendors and we bought a couple of Christmas gifts, some art prints, and I bought another dip crock for parties. Unfortunately they had stopped making the seasonal ones, so I couldn't get the pretty fall design they had last year.

We also bought the last of our fudge for the year and then James indulged in some boiled peanuts—I guess it's an acquired taste, because the first time I had some I grimaced and wouldn't touch another—and I had some roasted ones.

We picked up a flyer for the North Georgia State Fair, which starts next Thursday and runs through October 1. Usually it's so warm that we shy off going, and last year when there was a cool day we had something else planned. I'd love to go, though; they have something called the "Extreme Canaines Stunt Dog Show," which is comprised completely of rescued dogs. The idea reminds me of the last part of Walt Disney's Kilroy, where Kilroy brings the dogs from the pound about to be destroyed to an elderly pair of vaudevillians living outside of town and they train them as a dog act. We'll see.

We had to make a trip to Kroger afterwards, but decided not to go to the usual store, but to the Kroger we used to go to when we first moved into the old house, the one on Whitlock Avenue, because they have a gas station (gas was $2.189 with the Kroger card). As we walked toward the store a blonde lady who was wheeling her carriage out called out "Is it the Youngs?" OhmyGod, it was Diane who used to live next door to us!!!! I gave her a hug and we stood and talked for ten minutes; it was so funny because we had just mentioned her dog Huey last night—he was the only dog Willow ever felt comfortable enough with to play with (and not run away from). Too cool! (The first thing she said when I said we'd moved was "I'm so glad you got out of there! I remember watching the drug deals going on across the street from my living room.")

We both belong to Borders Rewards, and on your birthday they give you a coupon for a free dessert at their coffee shop. Well, wouldn't you know that every single one of the Cobb County Borders coffee shops have been closed to put in a new coffee bar that sells Seattle's Best Coffees. However, at the Parkway Pointe Borders last night, they told us the Buckhead coffee shop was still open, so since we were done before 2:30, we decided to go. This gave us an opportunity to peek at all the new "McMansions" going up on West Paces Ferry Road (still a pretty drive; miss going that way to work) and the high rises in Buckhead itself ($300,000 to $1 million! For a condo! My GOD!).

I still had another 25 percent off coupon and had intended to buy something else, but right up front I stopped dead in my tracks: hurrah! another Imponderables book!

Also, Ken Jennings has a book out. He'll be signing them at the Buckhead Borders on the 26th.

So it was a super-nice afternoon. Off to read the paper...

Labels: , ,