Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, August 18, 2006
Thursday Threesome (late because I was busy doing something else yesterday)

::Free Amazon Prime::

Onesome: Free-- isn't always free! What "freebie" have you discovered over the years that really isn't?

:-) "Free" gifts usually come with a price (besides being redundant).

There was a brief time that there was such thing as a free lunch. Many, many years ago when my office was still in Buckhead, the clubbing area of Atlanta, a fancy new place called J. Paul's opened. Unfortunately for them, they had stocked the restaurant, but hadn't gotten their liquor license yet, so they couldn't legally sell food until the next Monday. But here were all the waiters and food in the fridge.

Someone in my office came in one afternoon and said "They're serving food free over there." Sure enough, they couldn't sell it, but they had to use it. Everything was free. The only stipulation was that you tip 15 percent of what the bill would have been. I think the whole office went over and had a free lunch.

Well, there was a SF convention that weekend, one of the long departed ones, like Dixie Trek or Fantasy Fair, can't remember which. When a bunch of us got together and said "Where do we want to go to eat?" I piped up, "I know somewhere we can go for the price of the tip!"

We ate there all weekend, at least a dozen of us, and had a great time talking as we ate. This remains one of my most cherished memories. James still has the "Robert A. Heinlein Memorial Free Lunch" button that Ron Butler hand-lettered to commemorate the occasion.

Twosome: Amazon-- It's been a bit since we've done our Amazon Survey: do you use Amazon? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I love Amazon! I just ordered two books from two of their marketplace sellers. One I got in five days; still waiting on the other (media mail and it's only been a week). I had one problem with them a year back; they had a book listed incorrectly. They have this year's edition listed incorrectly, too, but I'm wise to it now and will just get it in B&N or Borders if I have to. Wish they still discounted paperbacks. Oh, well, can't win 'em all.

Threesome: Prime--Time! Are there any shows you are looking forward to seeing in the Fall lineup on TV? (okay, football counts <g> ).

Fall...what? I think I've seen the fall schedule; oh, yes, Brent had it on his blog, I believe. I didn't see anything that sounded all that memorable.

But there is a new season of House. And the David Tennant episodes of Doctor Who start on Sci-fi on September 29...